Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Starting new shop/how much do I charge?
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 05:07 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,220 Times in 1,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubeTek
All that said, you'll find you can get a lot more work by quoting fixed prices rather than hourly rates in any case where the work to be done is well defined. I've been in various phases of the metalworking business for 30 years, and if I have some work I'm looking to sub out to someone, and a drawing or other good description of the work involved, then they're wasting my time and theirs if they think they'll get me to bite on an hourly rate and give them the job. If a man isn't familiar enough with the work to know what it's worth, the he surely isn't familiar enough with it for me to open the wallet and trust he'll do me right.
You know, I never thought for a second in this thread that we were not simply talking about how much to charge an hour. Your "hourly rate" is merely that, what you charge per hour. It doesn't mean that every job is an open check and how ever many hours you work on it you will be paid. I too feel sorry for the poor dolt who would turn over a project to someone without so much as an estimate as to how much it will cost.

However, this doesn't change the fact that you need SOME KIND of idea what your "hourly rate" is before you give that "fixed price".

Brian