Hot Rod Forum banner

Starting Problems

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  nickel333 
#1 ·
Still working on getting my mototr started I have the MSD pro Billet distributor and the 6AL ignitioin box I definitely am getting spark I felt it!!!!! But when I am trying to start I either get gas spitting out the carb or flames but no start. I tried pulling the number one plug and bringing to TDC but when this is done the distributor i cannot get to line up and drop in pointing at the number one plug. What else can I do????

#3 ·
I'm having a little diffaculty understanding your post (could be just me though) :) What it sounds like is you can't get the rotor to point at number one cylinder? Do you have number one on TDC power stroke? You sound like you're out of time though, Where does the rotor point at when you havwe the number one cyl at TDC power stroke? If you're having problems getting the distributor dropping all the way (oil pump not lined up). Just put it where you want number one to be on the cap, then bump the motor over and it will fall into place. Then you just wire it up remembering where the number one terminal was on the cap. :)

#4 ·
yes u have to be a tdc, put a paper puff ball in it, and crank it over by hand or by starter and when it pops stop then do the rest by hand on the flywheel

take a long flat blade and stick it on the camshaft rotor and rotate it till it points at cylinder 1, then take the distributor and make sure the rotor points at cylinder 1 as well. then it will start, make sure your camshaft rotor and the distributor cap are not a tooth out

also your carb could not be right

#8 ·
Turning the oil pump drive might help some, but it is s-o-o-o-o hard to get it perfect a fella could just go get drunk in a short time.

Now Jr, this is going to seem like the longest, most pedantic crap you've suffered through since Freshman English. Stick with me. It will work.

You know where number one is, or should be on your distributor cap. Right? Mark the body of the distributor right under number one's connection tower with something. Black marker. White paint. Lipstick. Something you can see. Take the cap off and set it somewhere out of the way where it won't get broken. Turn the engine to number one, top dead center, compression stroke. Use the paper puff, rig a remote start setup so you can hold your finger or thumb over the empty spark plug hole, whatever. Get the compression. look at the rotor and see where it points to. How far away from your mark is it? Completely opposite? Just a bit? Loosen the distributor clamp until you can gently pick it up and just barely clear the gear on the camshaft. Watch carefully as you pull the distributor up. Notice how far the rotor turns as you lift? Turn it as you hold the distributor gently against the cam gear. Feel it sort of jump as you turn it? See how close the jumps are? Play with it for awhile until you have a grasp of the tooth relationship. Set the rotor one tooth to the drivers side of the mark. This thing is going to turn as it's lowered. Lower it in it's iron bed. If the oil pump drive is aimed the right direction, everything might just slip together. It likely won't, so you need either your trusty remote control starter button or a helper. Barely flick the starter button as you gently hold down on the distributor. Gently now. You want the engine, camshaft and distributor to turn, but not the slotted piece it needs to mate with. It will fall right in the hole. Great feeling. Rotate the engine one and a half more times. Watching the rotor line up with the mark you made on the distributor, it will line up once as the piston comes up on the exhausr stroke and then once more, which will be on the compression event. Check your timing marks on the damper and tab. You should be very close. If you aren't, figure out if you need to move the rotor in an advanced or retarded direction and go from there.

There, see. Get this puppy fired. We all want rides! :cool:

[ February 12, 2003: Message edited by: slider ]</p>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.