Starting on a project - 30 highboy - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 04:10 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

Fore-ever Fours.

Building a Four can be expensive if go full out. I have a 22 T speedster. The more I looked at an A crank and overhead valve conversiona and the $ $ required , I decided not do a whole lot. I was teaching the Auto engine classes at the college so I hauled in 6 model T engines I had collected. Once you get a machine set up , the machine time isn't that long. I picked out the best block, bored 60 over, new aluminum pistons, new 3/4 cam , timing gears and machined for adjustable lifters, decked the blocks on the head machine, faster on a little engine and milled all the stock heads to remove water corrosion. balance all the rods and pistons, You don't have to be the fastest to still have fun. but I did come in no 11 out of 70 cars.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 04:20 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcoghlan View Post
Dave

Please don't take my most recent post as a jab, it wasn't mean to be one. I do appreciate every post made in this thread. I totally agree that planning is required and lots of it. I have also spent some time perusing a solid book (How to Build a Traditional Ford Hot Rod) which is providing more answers, AND questions.

The more research I am doing (and will continue to do) the more I am actually coming to the conclusion that I might sidestep the Buick nailhead and instead keep the banger. Cant get more old school than the original engine huh? It (keeping the banger) wasn't even something I had considered. Would appear to simply things a tad.

As for the whole chop/no-chop discussion, i have spent the last while looking at unchopped A's and have to admit, I am wavering...!

Paul
Paul - I did not take your post as a jab. What I'm trying to emphasize is that you need to spend a lot of time considering the options. Plus whatever time framework you expect to have it done in, real life interferes, i.e. honey do's and kids if married, a job if not retired, the lawn needs mowing, the daily driver needs a day in the shop, the a/c just quit ....... and so on. That top chop you are considering - lots of work, especially if you aren't a metal worker/welder now. And hot rod shops - they get real expensive plus trying to get a quality job in a reasonable amount of time and within their quoted price can be frustrating. Engines - the 'A' was replaced by both the 'B' and 'C' engines, both of which should bolt in place and are better choices. Another to consider is the Ford turbo 4 cylinder SVO from '86 on for 5 or 6 more years. Modern and reliable power, relatively easy to find parts, much more so then that earlly nailhead or the original 4 cylinder. Again, planning.

Dave W

Last edited by Irelands child; 12-17-2012 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-17-2012, 04:41 PM

Last journal entry: Better late than never
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale View Post
Building a Four can be expensive if go full out. I have a 22 T speedster. The more I looked at an A crank and overhead valve conversiona and the $ $ required , I decided not do a whole lot. I was teaching the Auto engine classes at the college so I hauled in 6 model T engines I had collected. Once you get a machine set up , the machine time isn't that long. I picked out the best block, bored 60 over, new aluminum pistons, new 3/4 cam , timing gears and machined for adjustable lifters, decked the blocks on the head machine, faster on a little engine and milled all the stock heads to remove water corrosion. balance all the rods and pistons, You don't have to be the fastest to still have fun. but I did come in no 11 out of 70 cars.

Thanks, to be honest I think I see the gap here between my expectations and the majority. I would certainly not need to go full out with the engine. If it could cruise at highway speed I am more than happy. The objective here is to cruise... A little extra pep would be nice but certainly nothing major.

As per Dave's posts, I will continue research...

Thanks again,
Paul
Old 12-18-2012, 07:08 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

Modified A's

A mild A , B or C engine would still be fun and there are several different transmission options, reworked modern transmissions to work in an A, good for cruzing. , I have an antique Moore gear box behind my T transmission, I now have 4 foreward and 2 reverse speeds in the T. originally a T only had 2 foreward speeds.
Old 12-18-2012, 07:35 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

May I suggest going resto-rod with that car..that is stock body with late model running gear..Boxed "A" chassis..disk brakes all around..Perhaps the turbo 4 as suggested..Main thing if you have not built a ground up car before is keep it simple..Even that buick you have could work..just do a rebuild and some dressy pieces and you are good to go..

Sam
Old 12-19-2012, 05:03 AM

Last journal entry: Better late than never
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime View Post
May I suggest going resto-rod with that car..that is stock body with late model running gear..Boxed "A" chassis..disk brakes all around..Perhaps the turbo 4 as suggested..Main thing if you have not built a ground up car before is keep it simple..Even that buick you have could work..just do a rebuild and some dressy pieces and you are good to go..

Sam
Same, totally agree. Taking on advice from prior posts I have spent a lot of time in the past couple of days looking at similar cars, making a list of options and generally planning out the way forward.

I am certainly leaning towards leaving the body pretty much as-is for now and simply removing the fenders/running boards. I dont particularly feel like there is a need to do massive surgery to it and will probably 'tweak' it over time as I enjoy it, which is my primary objective.

I will try to dig out some photos of an original A with just fenders removed to see what sort of rake/look that gives but may be removing them in the next week so I will know soon enough...

Boxing the frames is on my must-do list and will likely done in the next month or two.

Paul

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.