Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Starting a small blasting business.
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 07:24 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Starting a small blasting business.

Hello everyone,
Im currently deployed to Afghanistan and finally will be returning home in september. Upon returning home i will be building my dream 24x36 garage and i have been planning on devoting a 24x12 enclosed area in the garage to blasting (and some powder coating on the other side). I have a 11cfm @ 90psi 60gal compressor and I've been looking at getting the eastwood dual blaster set up and was trying to decide what medias id like to try to start blasting with. I have two friends with project cars that are willing to let me blast there there cars along with my own. I've read everything i possible could as far as soda blasting and i feel i have a firm grip on that, but as far as the media blasting i'm still tetering on what medias would cover the largest areas of use and be most effective. After some experiense i'd like to start doing this on the side as it took my boss 6weeks and $600 to get two fenders and the top of a hood soda blasted locally. even if its just enough to pay for the equipment and a couple car parts here and there.

I was thinking if i started out with soda, starblast-( as i understand it would work really well for lighter sheet metal removing light rust and paint, and is highly reusable) then something like black diamond for heavy rust and metals like frames.

Any suggestions on medias you'd feel fit better or any sort of suggestions please let me know. as you can see im trying to cover three main areas, super light work such as fiberglass and super thin metal, light-med paint removal and light rust, the just all out rust cutting.

ps. also when reading media sizes like gound glass what does the mesh 40/70 indicate.

thank you for all advise, i really appriciate it and hope i can turn it into a lucritive little side hobbie. Lowe's doesn't pay me enough for my car habbit