Starting some interior work. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2005, 08:13 AM
Tow Chainer

Last wiki edit: Rebuilding an early Hemi engine
Last journal entry: cruise pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Starting some interior work.

I've updated my journal with my interior progress so far. I've got the books custom auto interior and automotive interior, and have been reading up on the project. I plan on doing the cheater method of using my old interior for a pattern over scratch building seat covers. This is my first set so I think I'll play it safe for now. Although the interior will be rather plain compared to most. I suppose I could tuck and roll the cushions instead of just flat fabric, and still use the original covers as a guide?

Anyway I have a couple questions.

First someone posted a link on here once to a site with just about everything you could need for upholstery. I can't find it now. The page kind of looks like a Rolodex (I think).

Second what is the black coated burlap material that is in a couple pieces of the seats. It's stiff and used in hidden parts of the seat.

Third, the stuff I'm seeing on making welting calls for cutting it on the bias, that's diagonal across the fabric right? Isn't that going to waste alot of fabric to get not so much length. To make enough welt (and wind lace) I'm going to need at least 9 yards for welting, and lord knows how much to make a four doors worth of wind lace... An suggestions on how to get the most out of my fabric? I do plan on buying a headliner, so I will probably end up with a 3 fabric interior. Possible Black headliner and two relatively dark blue pattern fabrics (see journal for poor pictures of the prints).

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2005, 09:24 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

I get all my upholstery supplies here. I did virtually the same thing to my '53 Chevy pickup and posted the process in my Project Journal. Here is how I made my headliner insert. This and the next few pages shows how I mane my own headliner, interior panels and carpeting. I had my seats sewn by a pro but all this other work saved me $$$ and I did it myself!!

Here is the final result.

Old 04-08-2005, 08:32 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

NICE!!!!!!

The only problem I have with that, is you showed a picture of the fiberglass curing in the sun. Since NY doesn't get but 4 days with sun per year, what am I to do? Short of moving to Cali, of course...Could you and Dinger STAND IT? LOL Great job Jeff !
Old 04-08-2005, 09:10 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Well . . . it isn't my fault you chose to live in a state with all the "benefits" of Kalifornia (for example, an assemblyman recently authored a bill to deny the current $17,000/yr college education grant we give to any interested ILLEGAL alien. Bill didn't even get out of committee.) but w/o the great climate! Fortunately, UV radiation will get thru and cure your resin even if you don't have sun showing.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:46 AM
Tow Chainer

Last photo:

Thanks for the link. You do awesome work. I'm not sure if I'm more or less intimidated now. Sad as this may sound learning to weld was much less intimidating than this, even with the books. I'm even more worried about the paint. It's the details that are scaring me the most.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:45 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I have found over the years that the perception of my fears were much more substantive than the actual difficulty in learning a rod building skill. That was my first serious attempt at upholstery, I taught myself to paint, have rebuilt over a dozen automatic trannys w/o instruction from early hydros to the latest ODs and have yet to have a failure, etc., etc., etc. Ignore the fears and give it a try.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:09 PM
Tow Chainer

Last photo:

Yeah I spent a lot of time worrying about welding. It took practice, but I got that. I already have an industrial sewing machine, an old iron singer, and have sewed before, just nothing real pretty. I have very little invested in the fabric so I can Afford to screw up a little.

The windlace instruct was VERY useful to me. That is a very good idea.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.