Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Starting on Surface Rust - Several Questions...
View Single Post
Old 09-22-2005, 11:10 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

My favorite way to strip layers of old paint is with a 8" 36 grit disk on my 8" orbital sander. Then sand whats remaining with 80 grit on a da sander to take out the 36 grit scratches. The important thing to remember is not to get metal too hot or grind off metal if doing it by sanding or grinding. Chemical stripper can be used but is messy and probably will take a couple application and the remaining sanded off with 80 grit on a da again. Don't forget to neutralize the stripper and get rid of it all so it doesn't create paint problems later. I haven't tried the stripping disk you are talking about so I can't really comment on that. I am not a big fan of the rust convertors. The best for a job that will last in my opinion is to blast all rust pits to get rid of it all or replace metal if holes or weak. A wire wheel will work to get in pits, but I think blasting does a better job. Also treat the backside of the panels. Then apply an epoxy primer. If it were mine, I would get rid of all rust and then apply an epoxy primer. Then when you can spring for the painting, the epoxy can be sanded, bodywork done on top of it, and then more epoxy urethane primer and paint. In Wisconsin we have our share of rust.

Last edited by kenseth17; 09-22-2005 at 11:17 PM.