Hot Rod Forum banner

Starts up but dont run!

1K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  adantessr 
#1 ·
Wut up FELLAS I have a sbc 350 eddy 600 carb , eddy intake manifold ,and a mallroy distributor thats it. The situation is I had replaced the heads and had the carb rebuilt and a new fuel pump I put every thing back together and timed it it ran good the following day I started it up perfect and was idleing fine bout ten mins passed and it jus shut off . Now I go to start it It starts up strong but shuts off right away when you give it gas the carb makes a whoosssh noise and dies, still a beginner I had it running smooth then it jus took a dump Iam burnt out any suggestions would be greatly appreciated .

#2 ·
Start at the simple test first. Take the fuel line off of the carb and check for fuel flow. You would not be the first one to install a new part that failed right out of the box. Keep us posted. And this may sound stupid, but I assume you did make sure there is gas in the tank. I was testing and adjusting an engine and it quit running. Found out I was out of gas.

#4 ·
Get you hands on a bone-stock HEI distributor, drop it in and time the motor. I have had more trouble from Accel and Mallory ignition products than I care to talk about. Nothing beats a plain old HEI with good parts in it and good plug wires. If you want to go double-throw-down hyper, then purchase one of these units that's custom dialed in for your motor from Davis Unified Ignitions....
http://www.performancedistributors.com/gmssdui.htm

#8 ·
Try this test. When it starts, hold the key in the start position for just a couple of seconds and see if it continues to run as long as the key is held and quits as soon as you leave off of the key. If this is the case, then you need a new ignition switch. I have seen this before. I am assuming that you do not have a resistor in the circuit with a resistor bypass in the start mode. At any rate you shouldn't have with breakerless ignition. Allan

#9 ·
Ok I held the key in start position and it stayed on so I replaced the ignition switch still didnt work. I disconnected the power wire to the distributor then I ran a wire straight from IGN on the fuse box to the distributor its ALIVE, is this correct or will I end up burning something up?

#10 ·
BANG67 said:
Ok I held the key in start position and it stayed on so I replaced the ignition switch still didnt work. I disconnected the power wire to the distributor then I ran a wire straight from IGN on the fuse box to the distributor its ALIVE, is this correct or will I end up burning something up?
This will work fine without any ill effects, but I would make sure that it is a fused terminal. Sounds like something happened to the wire between the switch and coil. If the new wire doesn't work, the wire between the ignition switch and the fuse panel could be bad. If a wire directly from the battery to the coil keeps the engine running you will know for sure that you are looking in the correct direction. Okay, i re-read what you posted . You did say that the wire that you have now is LIVE . Just make sure it is fused . Allan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.