Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - static problems I think
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2009, 09:36 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe33
A while back I shot a few car pieces after Barry K, gave me a lesson in gun settings and flow coating to get my clear to lay like glass. The problem I ran into wasn't the paint but all the crap that was in it. I'm talking like you sprayed it steped back and through a hand full of dirt in the air over it. Remember this is a flow coat ( clear only) Luckly I'M pretty good at cuttin and buffing (Not by my choice). I wiped tacked re wiped tacked yada yada yada for twenty minutes trying to prep the best i could. Barry claims dirt does not come from the floor and usually not the booth, its from you or the car. I WAS PAINT SUITED UP HEAD SOCK AND ALL. the hood tops were on stands with the bottoms masked and preped. A buddy tells me the only thing that he could tell was I tacked to much and created an electrostatic charge on the hood tops wich drew dirt like a magnet. I have read on other sites and heard all the tricks of throwing a chain over the axle etc. The thing is when you painting disassembled laying on stands or hanging how do you ground or kill the static electricity. They say fiberglass is the worst for it and every time you pull the trigger on your gun the volume of air traveling out the tip creates it from the get go. So how do you control it or what tricks are thier two minimizing the dirt. Just my frustrations any ideas or tricks you guys have tried or learned pass them along please.
try grounding the car or bumper covers with jumper cabels