Station Wagon Interior Redo - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2013, 11:39 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Station Wagon Interior Redo

I have a 1964 Pontiac Safari Station Wagon. I am almost finished with all of the mechanical rebuilding, at least that I will be doing at this time.

I am getting ready for the interior. I pulled the carpet out, something must have died in there. It smelled so bad and the padding and glue underneath smelled even worse. I got it pretty cleaned up and will probably be laying down some Dynamat. I really want the sound levels down as this is my wife's car and our kids hate loud noises.
First questions begin with carpets.

I know a couple of places that I can order replacement molded carpet, but the colors are limited. I bring that up because the color doesn't match the darker blue of our interior, but the lighter blue which we want to get rid of.
Second, the transmission hump will be shaped a little differently because we had to cut it out to fit the new transmission in. I will be welding the hole shut. But the hump will be a bit larger. Will this drastically affect the carpet install? I imagine it will. I plan on getting cut pile and not looped if that makes any difference.

Now onto seats. I have looked at a ton of seats on the net with my wife. We finally settled on the looks of the one Dan has done. They are the seats in the car that he did the door panel tutorial, only we want that lighter blue to be a repeat of the darker blue.
This is our current front bench. She hates that light blue and the missing foam dips so much she had to stack pillows to see. Currently the back of the seat connects all the way down. I want to actually have this separate to allow seat belts to move through easier. I have kids and I know stuff will get stuck down there. Hopefully, this is possible.

The rear seat did not have foam underneath only cotton. Would this be a problem in putting foam in? I will have pictures of the rear seat later.

As far as material I like the look of the Spradling Reflex Sapphire. I know Dan mentioned in the Door Panel Tutorial that he was using UltraLeather? I hope that is right. The only price I saw for Reflex was 26.79 yd. I will probably keep looking. I don't know that I want to spend that much on material that I may need to buy a lot extra of.

For sewing I found a local Consew 206 for $475 with a table. It is a silver one , but the pulleys are white. Every picture I found of the 206 in silver had black pulleys. It is supposedly working. Is that a good deal and will I be able to resell it for a similar price if I completely fail at the interior?

Next the door panel.

There is water damage to the board underneath. I will definitely be using the door panel tutorial, but the design will be a little different than original. I wont be using that silver material or the light blue. I will be using the colors that I will use on the seats. A dark blue and white. I might have to look for some chrome trim that I can accent the door with. Just a strip of it or something. A lot of thinking to do.

This will all be a new experience for me. I appreciate any corrections or advice on any part of the process I am all ears.
There are a couple of reasons why I am choosing to do the interior myself.
1) Time and Attitude
I have called a lot of local places for interior and most seemed uninterested in working on an old car. The earliest any shop would be able to even look at the car would be 3 weeks. I don't really want to convince someone to take my business.
2) Money
The best I can gather is that the seats will cost around $350 each, on the low end and $150 for the door panels each. I have a third row.
3) Trust
I have little trust for people right now. I was taken advantage of on mechanical work and I had to redo things that were supposedly done. I have decided that I will be doing anything I have the ability to on my car.

Sorry for this long post, but I wanted to post as much info as I could think of for this project. I have been searching through this forum a lot and I will be saving some links to sites for different materials.
Thanks everyone.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2013, 07:37 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

The only real questions I got out of your post are about the carpet and padding the seats. Padding the seats with foam is a better way to go. The only thing to keep in mind is that whatever thickness the old seat had duplicate that thickness with the deck pad and foam. Here's a link to a thread that will help you with that. Re-padding an old car seat.

The carpet will be best done by fitting the transmission tunnel with a separate piece of carpet and then laying other carpet on either side of the tunnel.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:01 AM

Last photo:

Dan thanks for your quick reply. Great link.
You mention that you use "laminated deck skin", which seems to be a generic product.
I did a search for it and the only real results point back to posts on this site. Would JoAnn's carry something comparable? Or is there a way a DIYer could get their hands on it. I notice you were willing to sell it to another member. How much does that stuff run?
Also, I just looked up Ultraleather and found its price at $60 yd. Wow. I wont be swinging that this time around.
Any recommendations on something more in the price range of $20 yd or is that ridiculous?

When you talk about fitting the tunnel of the transmission with a separate piece of carpet, will it be overlapping the side pieces or will I need to match them up so there is no seam? Would I be purchasing the molded carpet and cutting out the tunnel or is this something I will have to do from scratch?
Old 10-14-2013, 09:29 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I can sell you a piece of the laminated deck skin for $1.00 a foot. $6.00 for six feet, plus shipping. Send me a PM with your address.

Check out this place on line for marine or automotive vinyl: "BoltaSoft" Automotive Vinyls any of these vinyls or any of their marine vinyls will work for you.

As far as the carpet goes, you would need to buy cut yardage to do the floor, not a molded carpet. Check out this place, they supply everybody else, so you'll avoid the middle man. Their web site is very confusing, so call them to place an order: Auto Custom Carpets, Inc - Search They have midnight blue cut pile if that's what you want.

Old 10-14-2013, 02:52 PM

Last photo:

Okay, a lot more research. I am going to be buying some of the sample cards from "Your Auto Trim."

I have narrowed it down to 4 cards I would like to sample. I will tell you which ones and if you know of any issues with them I would love to know too.

Monticello, Corinthian, and All Star. The All-Star one is labeled as Contract Vinyl. Does that make a huge difference? Lastly, I saw one titled Symphony Classic. I don't think it is a BoltaFlex brand though. Have you used this before?

I called ACC. $29.73 / yd for Cut Pile and $47.55 / yd for Essex (extra plush cut pile). These come in 72" wide. I need to call back. I forgot to ask about the backing and pad that goes underneath. Is there a benefit to the "mass back" if I am going to use Dynamat?

Sorry for posting all of that info, but just in case someone is interested in prices as well they wont have to ask.

Regarding the laminated deck skin. What is the width of that product? I measured around 55" wide on those seats. Except for the rear. I notice you say that it isn't necessary to use on the back of the seat, but would that be acceptable? If it was at least 55-56" wide, then I would need approximately 12 feet. 20" approximate depth on the seats and slightly more on the back, but I don't have the back of a seat open yet. That should leave me a little extra to spare.

Lastly, when you mention trying to duplicate the depth of your old material, how is this done when it seems that the old material is compressed? On the cotton pad ( no foam on the rear seat) I got about 1 1/4". (even though the picture looks like a lot more.

Even more lastly, is the $475 a good price for a working Consew 206? I have to drive a bit to get it.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:23 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Yes, the price for the Consew 206 is fair if it's in decent shape, has a motor, and comes with a table.

Any of the Boltaflex vinyls would be fine, but I'd steer clear of the contract vinyl, it's going to be really stiff and harder to work with. Symphony is a very nice vinyl, but has a flat finish to it. Did you mean All Sport? All Sport is a 4 way stretch vinyl that I wouldn't use for car seats.

If you use the deck skin, that's about 1/2" thick and then used 1" firm foam over the deck skin you would have what it was before. Deck skin comes 24" wide and as long as you want. 24" should cover the seat frame from front to back.

As far as the carpet goes, I'd go with the thinnest backing they have so it will form easily for you, and use good padding over the Dynamat.

Old 10-14-2013, 04:19 PM

Last photo:

Thanks I will steer clear of contract vinyl.

All Star "Imperial Blue"

That is a link to the All-Star line from BoltaFlex. It says Marine and Contract at the top, but if you read the description it doesn't mention marine. Just that it is part of their contract vinyl line. Good to know.

Also, I saw a post of yours earlier regarding 4 way stretch and I am trying to avoid it. But I don't see where it mentions stretch.
Old 10-15-2013, 03:13 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

That is contract vinyl, and Symphony has a pebble grain to it just like that and is softer and easier to work with. Symphony is probably more expensive, though.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:55 AM

Last photo:

Thanks Dan. My wife thinks the Symphony might look too busy with the texture. I will still get a sample card because you never know until you see it in person.

The Consew 206 might not be available anymore. I was going to get it today, but the guy notified me that someone would be looking at it last night.

I found a Consew 200 which the guy says is walking foot, forward reverse, and auto oiler. This is with a table and motor for 195.00 obo. Is that machine satisfactory and at that price?

I will probably be posting machine inquiries until I can get my hands on one.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:36 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Never heard of a 200, there is a 201 that I know of. The 201 is a walking foot with reverse, but it is very old. I don't know if the machine would be worth buying or not.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:53 AM

Last photo:

Thanks. I will stay away from that one then. Geez, it is a pain trying to find an affordable sewing machine. A lot of people want close to new pricing on their machines. But as they say pick two:
1)Cheap
2)Fast
3)Quality

I need 1 and 3, which means patience.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:09 AM

Last photo:

I got the material samples in the mail today.
After looking at the colors in person I am leaning towards the Spradling Whisper series.
I would have gone with Symphony, but their blues aren't the right tones. I am going to try and hold them up to the car paint just to double check.

My dad is saying that I shouldn't use white on the seats, because I will be cleaning it all the time. Aren't these materials very stain resistant? They kept telling me that my sister had a lighter color material and her blue jeans kept staining the seats.
I want to try to order the material today so that I can get started soon.

Color choices either Whisper Cerulean or Navy and Whisper Brilliant White.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:59 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Brilliant white is not a good choice for the interior of a daily driver. I would recommend a lighter blue, lighter gray, or an off white to go along with the Navy. Whisper is a very good vinyl, but there is no light gray, light blue, or off white to choose from.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:02 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

The material is stain resistant but the white shows dirt so you will be cleaning a lot..

Sam
Old 10-21-2013, 01:31 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the tip guys. I will be avoiding white.
I am not really a fan of the blue with any of the greys. I might just do a Dark Grey and Light Gray or something. Would that clash with the dark blue paint of the car?

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.