The Statue of Liberty, the ultimate "Body from scratch" project. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2007, 11:27 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

The Statue of Liberty, the ultimate "Body from scratch" project.

While at the Statue of Liberty on my vacation it hit me, it is the ultimate "body from scratch" project in all the world. It is not a cast contrete or anything like that. This ladies body is completely hand hammered! The first photo you will see the bucks (or is it a mold being they are hammering it INTO it?) made from wood. That is a sheet of copper, being hammered into a finger! The second photo shows the inside of the statue (sorry for the crappy photo). The green arrows are the hammered copper panels, the white are the metal support structure (now replaced with stainless steel in the last restoration in 89) and the yellow arrow is the spiral staircase leading to the crown. Couldn't go up there DAMN 9-11!

The last photo shows an interesting view you don't see often. I found this photo on a coppersmithing site talking about the restoration, that red box is referring to the added apron during a repair in 1937. But below the red box you can see a man standing in the observation area to show you the enormous size of this "body from scratch" project. Plus you can see that the detail the hammered out of that copper is pretty amazing.

The last image, again from the coppersmithing site shows a close up of my photo on the inside. The body is not butt welded it is riveted together. Hundreds of pieces (I forget how many) are riveted together to make the complete body. You can see the metal structure holding it all together. The structure is made of about 2" by 1/2" flat stock, pretty interesting.

Brian

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2007, 11:40 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
While at the Statue of Liberty on my vacation it hit me, it is the ultimate "body from scratch" project in all the world.
How right you are...but only a hot rodder would visit Miss Libery and be thinking, "Hmmm, scratch built."
Old 09-08-2007, 11:52 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

I was there in 92, and we climbed to the observation deck in her crown..There isn't much room up there, so we couldn't stay long, but the view is awesome.

To feel those panels and look up close at the armature is an experience that I'll never forget.

We also went up on the World Trade tower that year. The view from there was even better.

Damn 9/11.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 09-08-2007, 12:34 PM
Born To Be Mild

Last photo:

Take a wander through this Statue Of Liberty
I had seen pics before of the Statue pre-assembled in Paris but never the whole story.

Old 09-08-2007, 12:50 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Very cool Malc, I was looking for good info to post with mine, you found it. The very first thing I clicked on showed me a detail I didn't know, about the shackles at her feet. You can see them in one of the photos I posted and I hadn't never noticed them.

Mike, you can not believe the security around sites such as this because of 9-11. The Statue of Liberty had something no others did, a "sniffer" for bombs. The bureau of printing and engraving where they print our money (about 35 mil a day!), Airports, the capital building in DC, no where did they have a "sniffer" like at the Statue. Oh yeah, and if you are simply a petty criminal, don't try anything around DC. I saw a couple of guys who had did something (never found out what) in the Smithstonian museum of art get chased down and caught in about two hundred yards on the "mall" by more cops on bikes, cars, motorcycles and simply running, coming out of nowhere than I have ever seen in my life, it was pretty wild.

Brian
Old 09-08-2007, 01:33 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

Geez Brian, It sounds like you missed the PBS?? special that showed that restoration?

That was an amazing show. The original iron support bands needed to be replaced....ALL of them. They found an old school metal fab shop that they could "ferry" the individual band sections to get fabricated out of stainless like you mentioned.

The bars were removed and ferried to the NYC shop in late afternoon, and the iron guys would work nights to have the new pieces done for each morning.

They could only remove X amount of bars at one time, so to keep it in shape. They showed a dingy old place with workers hand bending each piece. Some of them had very complex, tight bends. As they removed each band, a copper fabricator(s) would do repairs to the skin.

The flame of the torch was handled by a French firm, maybe overseas, not sure.

I forgot what material they used for the new rivets to prevent corriosion. Lastly, they had "artisans" put patina on the copper replacement patches & blend it all in.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.