Hot Rod Forum banner

std to power brakes on 70 chevelle

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  jwa3 
#1 ·
I bought a 70 chevelle with Ls7 454 - roughly 575 hp - plenty of horsepower, not enough stop.. std disc front brakes, what problems will I create going to power brakes?

#2 ·
I'm glad you asked, I am looking into the very same thing. I am under the impression that you can just add a standard powder booster for your setup and be ok. Please anyone let me know if i am wrong. But if you are going to upgrade the rear to disk brakes you will need to change out the master cylinder, and use a power booster that matches the master cylinder setup. Ive looked into these upgrades, and they get real expensive real quick. So I am hoping just to put a power booster on and go with with like that, One thing not to forget is you will need Vacuum from the engine.

I know I,m not instilling allot of confidence here, but I am going to go to my local auto parts store, and have them lookup replacement master cylinders for both non power brakes, and power brakes, just to see if they are different. I am fairly confident the front and rear slave cylinders are the same.

Anyone out there done this lately?

Dest1971

#3 ·
correction

Well, I looked up the Master cylinders, and power boosters. The Manual brakes, on my car anyhow, have a 1 " bore on the master cylinder, where the power brakes have a 1 1/8" bore. The rest of the parts all show the same . You may need different length rods on the master/break pedal. I think I,m just gonna go down to my handy dandy Camaro Junk yard and see if I can get the whole, power booster/master cylinder setup. the local parts store wants $144 for the set, not bad either.

Hope this helps.

Dest1971

#5 ·
jwa3

Thanks for the info.. I've looked at year one and east coast chevelle.. they are similar in price. One of my concerns is that I have a fairly large cam, and don't know how much vacuum the power brake booster requires.. Does it pull it from the motor and hold it? I would assume at low rpms there wouldn't be much produced. I'm pretty ignorant here, so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

#6 ·
jwa3 said:
I bought a 70 chevelle with Ls7 454 - roughly 575 hp - plenty of horsepower, not enough stop.. std disc front brakes, what problems will I create going to power brakes?
Standard disc brakes ??

No booster ??

A LS-7 will not have enough vacuum to make the booster function properly ( been there ... done that ) ;) All Super Sport 1970 Chevelles came with power disc brakes on the front. I would duplicate that set up and add a remote electrical vacuum pump to supply the booster ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.