stealth cool air intake system for 55 Bel Air - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2004, 10:07 AM
Beyond the Sea

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

stealth cool air intake system for 55 Bel Air

In my quest for maximum fuel efficiency I want to get away from the standard open air filter (3X14 inch) that I'm using now. I would like to use this old setup only in the winter, say from Oct. to March, because the warm air it sucks in is a good thing when it's cold in the winter months. The rest of the year I would like to use a system (build a system) that takes fresh, cool air from in front of the rad and behind the grill, and routes it through a filter box then to the carb. This should both improve warm weather performance and fuel economy. No rocket science here, but actually doing it will not be so easy.

I have a Sanden A/C compressor that comes within half an inch of the open filter housing. So a stock type air filter box won't cut it, no space. I have made a plastic 90 degree elbow out of a drain pipe that will fit on top of the carb (hopefully it wont melt or warp from the heat under hood, but the cool air intake should cool it from inside). From here it will go via an air hose to a filter box.

This is my problem: What filter box could I use that will fit under the hood on the driver's side of the engine, that has enough air flow capacity for my healthy breathing 283 (headers, Vortec heads, Performer intake, dual exhaust). Has someone done this before and/or could recommend a filter box that will fit and work, say from some newer trucks or something? I would need a specific model recommendation as there are no junk yards here in Germany at all which I could pick over. Believe it or not, all old vehicles here are either immediately crushed or sent to Eastern Europe or Africa, where they get a second lease on life.

Does anyone have other ideas how to effectively get cool air into the carb? But without hood scoops or other visible means...

Thanks again

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2004, 11:20 AM

I think your best bet would be just to make something yourself. A lot of people hve done it, if you google for it you can find a lot of stuff.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:28 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

A fresh air system is NOT going to improve mileage................performance and horsepower...yes, but not mileage.

That's my opinion, I may get some argument here.................

Budget RVs
Old 11-30-2004, 11:43 AM

Last journal entry: Fixed some leaks
Last photo:

How does it not improve mileage if it can bump up the efficiency of the motor for performance?
Old 11-30-2004, 11:46 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally posted by dmc12mk3
How does it not improve mileage if it can bump up the efficiency of the motor for performance?
Like I said, my opinion. Getting better performance is great, but you are going to use that performance..................bye, bye mileage.
Plus, more air...........more gas....equals better performance.

Budget RVs
Old 11-30-2004, 12:04 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Air box

my 96 Ford F-150 has a setup on it as you describe..the filter box sets on the inner fender panel and there is a hose to the intake and a hose to just behind the grill..Capacity of this should be fine as it is on a 351W..

The filter box itself is about 9.5" tall, 13.5" long and 6.5" wide..The air inlet and outlets are on the same end of the box..air comes in the bottom of the box goes through the air filter and then thru a hose to the intake..Mine is injected and the manifold is high so Ford did it this way for hood clearance as far as I can see..

Any way I think that you may be able to use the Ford filter box and a hose..Try finding some dryer vent hose and work something out that way..

Having cold air into the engine allows a denser mixture and does result in the engine running better and more efficiently More HP/better mileage tho you may not notice much difference from just one modification...

OMT
Old 11-30-2004, 12:50 PM
hotrodder 4 life

Last photo:

http://www.ramairbox.com/home_page.html
Old 11-30-2004, 02:31 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:

K&N

K&N makes some conical shaped elements that could as well be adapted for this application..

OMT
Old 11-30-2004, 02:44 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:

what carb are you running? Edelbrock square bore carbs aren't really that great on gas. I think they're probably better than holleys are, but I'm of the opinion that spread-bore carbs, like Q-jets, are good on gas. Because if you keep your foot out of them, you get great mixture and airflow velocity through the small primaries.

K
Old 11-30-2004, 03:32 PM
Beyond the Sea

Last photo:

I've been thinking about what you guys have suggested so far, and googled other peoples projects (good idea, that one).

Seems to me a K&N conical filter mounted ahead of the sheet metal separating the engine bay area from the
behind-grill/before-rad area would be the easiest solution. I just need to cut a hole for the air hose through that small panel. And I even have an extra panel on hand just for this purpose. The leading edge of the hood of the Bel Air takes such a deep swoop that the filter can be mounted up and out of sight (as seen from outside the car), as well as out of the way of water splash and rain.

This cool air intake project is just one of many things I'm doing to achieve the best possible mileage. Right now I'm running an Edelbrock carb, but I've ordered a custom tuned Q-jet to replace it with (for better economy). My brand new 283 only has 100 miles on it so far. Its got vortec 305 heads with a tiny 240H Comp cam (has plenty of power for me, plus makes all the right noises), MSD Super Conductor wires and 6 box, HVC Blaster II coil, MSD distributor, electric cooling fan (no mechanical at all), 2004R OD tranny with lock up, 190 degree thermostat, Performer intake, headers, duals, will be all synthetic lubricants after the first 3000 miles (motor, tranny and axle), NGK Iridium plugs (make big sparks to ignite lean cruise mixtures). I still want to try tuning the exhaust using a modified heat riser valve near the tail pipes, to get an optimised backpressure at low engine speeds (at high exhaust velocity they'll just open up, like they weren't there at all). This should help low speed torque and hence economy too. Did I miss anything?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.