Hot Rod Forum banner

Steel body? fiberglass? New Used? Model A project planning.

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Irelands child 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm completely new to the area of hot rodding. I've had a racing project going for a while, so I haven't had the chance to do anything like this. Anyway, I want to do a Model a in this kind of style. that would be called a coupe right? I've never quite understood all the different old body types and styles. But anyway, I wanted to know if a steel body like this would be worth my time, or if I should go with a fiberglass body, or newer steel body. I haven't done much restoration, but I do have fabrication experience. Thanks for the advice! if you have any other ideas that a newbie should know, please tell me!

#2 ·
Coupe has doors wind up windows and metal roof. Roadster has no wind up windows or metal top.

Glass or steel depends on how good you are as a fabricator/carpenter/builder/welder. How much is your labor worth/will it ever get finished? The Ebay roadster will have to have the subframe removed and re-fabricated to channel it over the frame. Plus doors, trunk lid and major wood/rust repair work.

A glass "A" shell with no wood can be had fairly reasonable. Then you fab the floor and inner bracing from wood/steel/f-glass. Lots less hard core body fabrication and finishing.

I have done both. I prefer steel but when it comes down to man hour labor. The glass is cheaper.. Glass bodies smell funny..The steel is going to have f-glass and fillers in it anyways! Take your pick.

#4 ·
There are still steel bodies that can be had fairly reasonably. As the 'A' has in the past 3-4 years, become the 'new' '32, the original steel bodies are getting up in price though, but if you have decent fab, welding and body work skills, those can be a decent place to begin. I doubt very much if there isn't a single part that cannot be had as after market. Then there are the Brookville reproduction steel roadster bodies which are entirely faithful to the original Fords. They do require some work, but at least no rust. If you are looking for an excellent 'glass body, then the Wescott is the way to go. There are some less then good other brands, but most 'glass body manufacturers seem to have ignored until recently, the 'A'. Since Ford built millions of 'A' over a 5 year span (actually only 4 production model years. '28-'31) there are many sedans going begging, other models, not so much.

Do your 'homework', set up a plan, establish a minimum budget the go build yourself some fun. Oh yeah that budget - you will never build your dream :D within those numbers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.