Steel Building Insulation Help - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2011, 07:39 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre
those roll over the framing batts are pretty worthless.
plan on spending a bunch to heat a metal building.
if it's one of those culvert type buildings, spray on is your only choice.
unless it's a big building, just frame up a garage.
Spray on is the only way to go they'll spray everything and that stuff sticks to everything wood ,steel ,concrete they used it in my shop and I love it its sealed up tight...it expands so it fills gaps and it drys hard as a rock...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2011, 08:08 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

spray foam.

The family farm has a 40 x 60 : metal culvert type building with sprayed on foam I wondered about the fire safety since it is exposed. My wife's cousin used to build wood stoves in the winter, it never caught on fire with all the welding they were doing. We used to heat it with a kerosene type torpedo heater to keep the produce from freezing until it was sold. Cost to heat VS sales potential VS donate what's left to the Food bank and take the tax deduction.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:21 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale
The family farm has a 40 x 60 : metal culvert type building with sprayed on foam I wondered about the fire safety since it is exposed. My wife's cousin used to build wood stoves in the winter, it never caught on fire with all the welding they were doing.
I was wondering the same thing about mine...but its a two part system I believe its flame retardant when dry,I wouldnt try getting a flame near it until then though...
Old 02-20-2011, 05:14 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

If the spray foam is approved for occupied buildings, then it must be fire rated.

Trees
Old 02-20-2011, 06:19 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

drywall covered

in the old days some of the foams had to be completely covered with 1/2 drywall. the nice thing about the foam is it seals out all the air leaks. , A cousin had the interior of his garage spray sealed , I think his buddy sprayed what was left at the end of the day, then later netted and blow in before drywall.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:48 AM

Metal Building Insulation

There are several ways to insulate a metal building, depending on the R value of the project. Insulation usually comes in 3", 4" or 6" thickness this will depend on what R value you are seeking, I would recommend http://insulation.org to find the exact R value suitable for your project. If you are looking for a more custom insulation to reach an R value of lets say R30, I would recommend contacting a custom metal buildings company *********************************

Last edited by OneMoreTime; 02-21-2011 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Advertising. Please see: commercial posting guidelines.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:42 AM

Metal Building Insulation

For anyone that finds this thread looking for insulation info... if you live in a humid climate like I do, steel buildings sweat/condensation and mold can be a problem when it gets in between fiberglass insulation. The best insulation for a metal buiding is closed cell spray on foam. It sprays on and seals water tight and forms a barier so condensation can't get through. It's expensive, I've been doing a lot of looking around for DIY spray on foam kits for my steel building... and for 2000 sq ft area it looks like it could cost me about $3000... But I've gone this far with my "dream shop" and after waiting till I retired for a nice shop, I'm going to do it right. Closed cell foam actually works better than the fiberglass batting.
NOTE: Open cell spray on foam won't work, it won't seal out the moisture and you will end up with a big mess and a big waste of money. Just my 2 cents... for what it's worth.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.