Hot Rod Forum banner

Steel buildings

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  BstMech 
#1 ·
I was wondering if anybody has bought a steel building kit, and how happy/disappointed they are with it. I have sent off to a few makers to get catalogues and pricing info. The building size I'm interested in is about 24'wide 30'-35'long and 12'-14' high. Is there anything I should know about before deciding to buy? I don't plan on buying just yet, but by this time next year I will be, just doing some research before I do. :)

#2 ·
Waz Up BstMech?
Ive considered the steel bld myself and checked into it and heres what I know.
1. They are do it yourself kits.
2. They use no truses.
3. They come with no front or back wall.
4. there very affordable.
5. if U sent for info, your phone will be ringing wild!
I think there a good deal. You need to build a front and back, which is pretty cheap. I also like that theres no wasted space. Every bit of room is useable. Check with em for repo's to, they are real cheap. They offered me like a 40X60 for 2000 bucks one time, but I wasnt ready. Dont forget you have to supply the floor, gravel, concrete to, but I think there hard to beat. HG

#3 ·
I bought a steel arch building off of my brother, havn't put it up yet, still need a footer. I helped a buds family put one up about 2 miles awayy from me, its pretty simple to put up, you'll need scaffling to thand on to put the top arches on, or if you know a electric or cable company guy that has a bucket truck, those work great and there pretty fun to play with too :D If your in a hurricane or tornado zone I don't recomend the steel buildings, they will rip apart like a pop can no matter what the brochure says. If you are in one of those areas and have the cash look into monolithic domes, they are indestructable, energy efficient and great for garages or houses. You can check them out <a href="http://www.monolithicdome.com/" target="_blank">here</a> I highly recomend them.

HK

#4 ·
Yeah, I did a little more searching, and found a 30'x40' with a 10'x10' overhead door and entry door (no windows or skylight) for $2930. I like the modular type like you're talkin' bout (sounds real easy to assemble). A couple of the places offer end walls overhead doors etc., I'll see what kind of price though. If I can get me a decent size garage for less than $5000 complete with slab, I'll be happy, especially if they finance. I'll be checking into any building permits/restrictions pretty soon. I don't think I'll have any problems (out of city limits), but it is a residential area. It will be the only building on the lot that belongs to a friend and I, we have it looking like a junkyard now and no complaints so far (that's what I love about Tennessee ;) ). :)

#5 ·
Those domes are cool, but I bet out of price range. I see alot of steel buildings (garage type) around here, and they are still standing. There were a couple tornados hit close to here a couple months ago, and we had high winds too. Some kit makers asked about local snow load, and wind rating codes, so they know to include anchors and cross cables to the kit (I'll make sure to check into that as well). That's funny you mention the wind, reminds me of a bad experience. I was living in the middle of the desert outside Phx, and wasn't worried about theft (in fact we "welcomed" strangers :D ). Anyway, I bought this portable carport (12'x20') from Home depot to work in the shade on cars. One day the wind took my "carport", and relocated it on top of a Palo Verde tree and tipped my toolbox over. When I recovered the carport, I now had a 12'x12' carport that was about a foot shorter because I buried the poles about a foot deep in concrete. The frame still stands to this day, and my younger brother is in the process of building a more ridgid roof for it. I still hate the wind. :D

#6 ·
Well.....I bought and built my 30x40x12 shop behind my house from slab to roof. I took a week off work to build it.

I got a weld together "kit" which is basically just all the stuff you need to make your own cuts and assemble the building. I just talked to the guy who I bought it from to get the particulars on building it. It was not at all difficult after talking to someone on the details. You will need a lift of some sort for setting the main trusses, but other than that I used the buddy system for any help I needed.

As for price I paid $3800 delivered to my house for the frame and sheet metal. It was $1200 for the insulation.

In the insulation department I would definately insulate it. You will regret it if you dont. My shop is cool in the summer and easily heated with a 1.5 ton Heat Pump in the winter.

I used some insulation called Astrofoil. It is a bit more expensive...maybe .04 cents per spuare foot, but worth it. It has a R19 insulation value and is only 1/4" thick. It is really easy to work with as well. It looks like the stuff then use for windshield visors in cars. If you want to see what it looks like, look at my photo album. You can see it in the background on my s-10 picks.

Any other questions I can probably answer because I did all the research about 2 years ago.

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.