Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Steel buildings
Thread: Steel buildings
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2003, 06:40 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

Wiki Edits: 0

Those domes are cool, but I bet out of price range. I see alot of steel buildings (garage type) around here, and they are still standing. There were a couple tornados hit close to here a couple months ago, and we had high winds too. Some kit makers asked about local snow load, and wind rating codes, so they know to include anchors and cross cables to the kit (I'll make sure to check into that as well). That's funny you mention the wind, reminds me of a bad experience. I was living in the middle of the desert outside Phx, and wasn't worried about theft (in fact we "welcomed" strangers ). Anyway, I bought this portable carport (12'x20') from Home depot to work in the shade on cars. One day the wind took my "carport", and relocated it on top of a Palo Verde tree and tipped my toolbox over. When I recovered the carport, I now had a 12'x12' carport that was about a foot shorter because I buried the poles about a foot deep in concrete. The frame still stands to this day, and my younger brother is in the process of building a more ridgid roof for it. I still hate the wind.