Steering bell crank mounted on axle - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2012, 08:37 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Steering bell crank mounted on axle

I've been toying around with building a rod using only modern parts - things I could find in my local junk yard - and fabbing the rest.

I know it's not traditional, but I think I could make it work pretty well and frankly, money's tight these days.

I have just about everything worked out, but one thing I'm struggling with is the front axle.

I know it's a bit on the ugly side, but I'd like to use the front axle out of a 2wd Cherokee. They're plentiful, dirt cheap, and come with modern, easily replaceable components and disc brakes.

Here's a pic of one in the foreground.

I'd strip off all the bracketry and set it up for parallel links, probably using a rear mounted transverse spring with Speedway batwings.

Here's a pic of one with the bracketry removed

Looking back at the first pic, this is a cross steer design and the steering box would normally be located in front of and above the tie rods.

Been pondering how I could steer this without having a steering box hanging out front.

Could I weld a tube onto the front of the axle offset to the driver side with bearings and a shaft and mount an L-shaped bell crank to it with a tie rod running over to the passenger side knuckle? That would translate to front/back motion and I could then run a more traditionally located box either on the frame rail or at the cowl.

I think this would work without any problems, but I've never seen anything like that.

What do you guys think? Have any better ideas?

I've thought about flipping it, and some guys have done that, to get the steering in back, but that would introduce a whole different set of problems, especially a reverse ackerman.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2012, 03:01 PM

Last photo:

Well, it looks like I'm not the first person to think of mounting a bellcrank on a front axle.

Here's an article that's doing it to a Jeep axle in an old Willys.

http://www.off-roadweb.com/features/...eep/index.html

Images - it's a little hard to tell what's what.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:17 PM

Last photo:

Apparently this is somewhat common with the 4x4 crowd in order to minimze bump steer.

Another pic from another rig:

Old 03-16-2012, 02:22 PM

Reverse steering

Why not just make some steering arms that bolt to your spindles and stick out the back side , and set it up early Ford style ?
Old 03-16-2012, 02:54 PM

Last photo:

I haven't obtained one yet, but looking at the pics I think the upper ball joint would get in the way of doing a close copy of the Ford, assuming I could find a place on the knuckle to mount it.

I suppose I could fab something up if worse came to worse.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.