steering collumn swap from 85 model chevy to 79 gmc - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2010, 04:21 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

steering collumn swap from 85 model chevy to 79 gmc

hi guys i have a 1979 gmc high sierra with a stripped out lock cylinder it was removed and was being started with a screw driver so the collumn is ruined i have a new one but it looks like all the elctrical hookups are way more modern than the one outta my 79 i was wondering if i can take the connectors off the new collumn and use the ones off my 79 collumn please help

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2010, 07:39 PM

Last photo:

The lock cylinder mount bolts to the column with security type star bolts....... just replace the cylinder mount
Old 11-27-2010, 11:13 PM

steering collumn

well i have a new collumn to swap it with i just wanted to make sure the elctrical connections that bolt to the collumn are able to be swapped because the new collumn i have has the windshield wiper switch built into the turning indicator where my 79 collumn still has it set up on the dash
Old 11-28-2010, 10:02 AM

At the bottom of the column on the right side there is a multi-wire connector for the column wiring to plug into the truck wiring. The '79 vintage connector on the truck will not match the connector coming from your newer column, because the newer column wiring has more wires. However, you should be able to match the wiring up and make the right connections.

Best choice -
- Get the vehicle wiring loom connector from a junked vehicle that is the same year as the column (just cut the wiring and leave the connector and about 4 inches of wire). This connector should plug directly into the wiring in the newer column.
- Take the wires from the new/junked plug and start matching colors with your own vehicle. I think your '79 probably has about 8 wires, and the new column will have more (wipers and cruise control?). Splice the new/junkyard connector onto your existing vehicle wiring and you now have a plug in your truck that will plug right into the column.

You might be able to move the lock cylinder over from the 79 so that your keys are the same, but GM made a few changes over the years and it may not fit. If it doesn't you can have it re-keyed to match your 79, or just use the new lock.

Bruce

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.