Steering Column for 1971 Chevrolet C/10 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2007, 10:52 AM
glayman

Wiki Edits: 0

Steering Column for 1971 Chevrolet C/10

I just inherited a 1971 Chevrolet 2wd C10 pickup. It has power steering and
a column shift automatic transmission (turbo 350). The problem is I am WAY
to big to drive the truck. The steering wheel is huge and the column sticks
way out over the seat. I have ordered a new, smaller steering wheel. It
helps, but not enough. I need a tilt column that sets the steering wheel as close as possible to the dash. It appears that if I could find a column that was 3 or 3 � inches shorter, (provided that the neutral switch, wire harness and transmission linkage were in the same location as the stock column) it could do the trick. I don't want to take the column out and not be able to move the truck. I have limited space at my home and I have to occasional move the truck, (though it is very, very tight) until my garage is built. Starting this spring . Does any one have dimensions from a stock column of this year or any suggestions?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2007, 11:49 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

someone that owned my dad's '72 had the same problem. they put on a small Momo steering wheel, it's ugly, but it's small and works. my dad's not that small ither. nice looking wheels are sold in the same size as the momo's.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:01 PM
glayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt167
someone that owned my dad's '72 had the same problem. they put on a small Momo steering wheel, it's ugly, but it's small and works. my dad's not that small either. nice looking wheels are sold in the same size as the momo's.
Thanks Matt167, I have just put a grant challenger steering wheel on it, 13 1/2" is diam. and 2 1/2" deep with a slim install kit. Like I said it helped, but I need more, another 3" at least. I measured the column from the dash to the cone, it was just less the four inches, but I can see the wire slot without taking out the column, the company I have been talking too said they could make a steering column but it would take at least a month. If I could just get the dimensions of the tube, wire slot, neutral switch from the cone down that would be enough for me to design the new column.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:02 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by glayman
I just inherited a 1971 Chevrolet 2wd C10 pickup. It has power steering and
a column shift automatic transmission (turbo 350). The problem is I am WAY
to big to drive the truck. The steering wheel is huge and the column sticks
way out over the seat. I have ordered a new, smaller steering wheel. It
helps, but not enough. I need a tilt column that sets the steering wheel as close as possible to the dash. It appears that if I could find a column that was 3 or 3 � inches shorter, (provided that the neutral switch, wire harness and transmission linkage were in the same location as the stock column) it could do the trick. I don't want to take the column out and not be able to move the truck. I have limited space at my home and I have to occasional move the truck, (though it is very, very tight) until my garage is built. Starting this spring . Does any one have dimensions from a stock column of this year or any suggestions?
Take your tape measure and do some measureing.... you can find a shorter GM column. I put a tilt column from a Camaro in my 30 Ford coupe.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:08 PM
glayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Highrise
Take your tape measure and do some measureing.... you can find a shorter GM column. I put a tilt column from a Camaro in my 30 Ford coupe.
I think your right Henry, I have measured everything I can with it in the truck I'm just going to have to pull it out and hope I don't have to move it, even though the construction crew is suppose to start breaking ground next week.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:17 PM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

use a van column through 1979, lots were tilt, all you have to do is collapse the engine ay end of the column inside itself a few inches and it will bolt right in same column as the 71 72 trucks

do a google for van tilt column 67-72 truck

lots of ppl have done it

good luck
Old 02-14-2007, 02:20 PM
glayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast68
use a van column through 1979, lots were tilt, all you have to do is collapse the engine ay end of the column inside itself a few inches and it will bolt right in same column as the 71 72 trucks

do a google for van tilt column 67-72 truck

lots of ppl have done it

good luck
Thanks Fast68, I will look in to it now.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:09 AM

Last photo:

As suggested, you can use the van column but on my '72 C-20 I took the column out and cut the coupler shaft and welded it back together. To insure good strength, I first butt welded the two pieces back together then positioned a piece of steel tubing over the butt weld and welded both ends of the tubing to the shafts. It actually looks stock and I have had no problems. Doing this allowed me to position the steering wheel further away from the seat.
Do not try this unless you are an experienced welder, preferably with a Tig welder. If you do not have the experience or equipment, a good welding shop should be able to do the job for you for a few bucks.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:07 PM
glayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell007
As suggested, you can use the van column but on my '72 C-20 I took the column out and cut the coupler shaft and welded it back together. To insure good strength, I first butt welded the two pieces back together then positioned a piece of steel tubing over the butt weld and welded both ends of the tubing to the shafts. It actually looks stock and I have had no problems. Doing this allowed me to position the steering wheel further away from the seat.
Do not try this unless you are an experienced welder, preferably with a Tig welder. If you do not have the experience or equipment, a good welding shop should be able to do the job for you for a few bucks.
Thanks for tips, I will check into THANKS!!!
Old 02-16-2007, 05:31 PM

Last photo:

I have taken that style column apart and collapsed the tubes and the shaft an equal amount to shorten them. It isn't that hard to do but you would probably end up with a column that wouldn't collapse if you were in a wreck.

It may be safer than cutting and welding on the bottom end.

A couple of small tack welds would hold each component in place after they were shortened and then you could reassemble it.
Old 02-19-2007, 03:34 PM
glayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopt 48
I have taken that style column apart and collapsed the tubes and the shaft an equal amount to shorten them. It isn't that hard to do but you would probably end up with a column that wouldn't collapse if you were in a wreck.

It may be safer than cutting and welding on the bottom end.

A couple of small tack welds would hold each component in place after they were shortened and then you could reassemble it.

Thanks for the tip
Old 02-19-2007, 04:06 PM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
That's right. Doing that creates a solid metal spear pointed right at your chest in a front end collision.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:09 PM

Last photo:

Yep makes it like every Pre 69 car out there with a very few exceptions.
That is why I recomended a couple of very light tac welds, just enough to keep it from slipping but not enough to hold on impact. plastic pins would be better.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:08 PM
glayman

Quote:
Yep makes it like every Pre 69 car out there with a very few exceptions.
That is why I recommended a couple of very light tac welds, just enough to keep it from slipping but not enough to hold on impact. plastic pins would be better.
Thanks for ALL the tips folks, however I have decided to contact "ididit" and they are going to make me a column. I do appreciate all the advice

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.