Hot Rod Forum banner

Steering Column for a 29 Delivery Sedan

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  29 Delivery 
#1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade and update the steering column on a 29 Delivery Sedan. I'm not sure what currently is in the car (see picture) but the column tube measures 23 in long, and has a 2 1/4 inch diameter. The upper drop measures 9 in, the lower drop measures 7. There is an adapter that is 7 inches long that connects the steering column to the steering box (another picture). Any ideas. I've looked aftermarket but wow those prices.

Thanks in advance,
Ed

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
:welcome: WELCOME to Hotrodders.com :welcome:

I have used a early Chevrolet/GMC van tilt column in Model A's before ... I prefer the early to mid 70's ones. They have no key and have a P R N D L2 L1 indicator ... :D and they fit without modification to the column.

They are small and do not look out of place in a early car IMHO ...

Again WELCOME ...

Deuce ... Moderator

#3 ·
Thanks for the welcome and quick response. Are those columns 2 1/4? I just checked the upper drop - it has been welded to the dash panel so no quick and easy change. I'm thinking if the column is a 2 in diameter I could buy some .125 shim stock and a 2 in OD pipe. Form the shim stock to the pipe then attach the shim stock to the steering column paint it all up and install it. Or is there an easier way?

Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.