Steering column broken? 79 chevy c10 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2011, 10:45 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Steering column broken? 79 chevy c10

I have a 74 steering column in my 79 c-10 pickup. The steering wheel has always been a little wobbly but once i took it apart to replace the ignition lock, when i put it back together the horn would honk anytime you turned the steering wheel. I still havent got that part figured out.

Now today I took the steering wheel off to tighten up the sloppy turn signal lever and when i put the steering wheel back on it was REALLY sloppy. The nut was tight and the wheel was on properly. I didnt change anything except tighten the turn signal lever screw. The shaft that the steering wheel goes on will pull up and push back down about a half inch or so.

I have no idea whats wrong but I need to fix it! Any ideas? A diagram of how the column goes together would be nice - i need to figure out how to fix the horn.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2011, 04:16 AM

I will have to think a bit about why it would be so sloppy. If the nut tightens up firmly, it should take out almost the play. I assume the play you are describing is when you pull the wheel up and down, not rotate it side to side.

Turn signal problems
Most likely - You may not have the turn signal cam fully seated into the housing, which means one of the screws is sticking up more than it should. It will appear to tighten up, but may not be flat. When you turn the wheel that screw contacts the horn ring at certain points and honks the horn. I made the same mistake when I put in a new signal cam a few months ago, and it took a while to realize that the new cam had some flashing on the side that prevented it from seating completely.

Another possibility - The end of the turn signal lever is not straight at the point where it bolts to the the plastic cam. You may have it on upside down, which will angle the lever arm so it is too close to the metal ring that goes under the horn. It may be touching the ring, which will ground it and honk the horn.

Bruce
Old 07-25-2011, 04:37 AM

Last wiki edit: Wheelbase database Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Is this a stilt column or not?
Old 07-25-2011, 06:39 AM

Last photo:

IF this is a tilt column, you more thanlikely have four loose bolts at the tilt junction. It is not real fun to fix but use locktite when you do it. If it is not a tilt then I don't know.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:10 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75gmck25
I will have to think a bit about why it would be so sloppy. If the nut tightens up firmly, it should take out almost the play. I assume the play you are describing is when you pull the wheel up and down, not rotate it side to side.

Turn signal problems
Most likely - You may not have the turn signal cam fully seated into the housing, which means one of the screws is sticking up more than it should. It will appear to tighten up, but may not be flat. When you turn the wheel that screw contacts the horn ring at certain points and honks the horn. I made the same mistake when I put in a new signal cam a few months ago, and it took a while to realize that the new cam had some flashing on the side that prevented it from seating completely.

Another possibility - The end of the turn signal lever is not straight at the point where it bolts to the the plastic cam. You may have it on upside down, which will angle the lever arm so it is too close to the metal ring that goes under the horn. It may be touching the ring, which will ground it and honk the horn.

Bruce
'

I fixed the turn signal problem, the little screw that holds the lever on was just loose. I tightened it up and its ok. i'll check to make sure the cam is seated all the way anyways tho.

The play in the steering wheel is in and out. (not rotational).
Old 07-25-2011, 08:11 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Is this a stilt column or not?
It is a tilt column.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:14 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455olds
IF this is a tilt column, you more thanlikely have four loose bolts at the tilt junction. It is not real fun to fix but use locktite when you do it. If it is not a tilt then I don't know.
Its a tilt. I'm about ready to rip this column out and put in a 79-83 column like it should have in it. The lower end is different on the 73-78 column and the 84-87 column has the wiper control on the turn signal lever.

Anyways, Is there a diagram showing how to get to the tilt junction?

And just to clarify - the whole column isnt sloppy from the tilt joint on up - its just the shaft and the steering wheel. I may have to take a youtube video of it to show you guys what I mean.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:40 AM

Last journal entry: Body mods
Last photo:

It could have a broken yoke or a pin missing. Also are you sure you got all the pieces back on? It almost sounds like the bearing race might be missing, or a spacer. If you have never tackled one of those columns, they can be pretty challenging . The top of a spark plug that has the removable tip, will thread into the pins and make a puller of sorts, should slide right out.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:41 PM

Last photo:

I believe the upper bearing to be the culprit. I cant find the part to fix it tho. Anyone know where to get one?
Old 08-06-2011, 08:45 PM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Try your chevy dealer they sell that type of stuff.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.