Steering column decision - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2010, 06:00 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Steering column decision

My son & I are doing a frame up restorod with our 1950 Chevy AD 1/2 ton and need to decide which way to go with a steering column. Option 1: an Ididit column complete with mounts, etc..would be nice but can be pricey. Option 2: I am told our stock column can be adapted for use with our TCI IFS, power rack & 700r4 auto trans but do not know how well it will turn out or how much we will save. Option 3: Adapting a more modern wrecking yard column to our truck is also an option but I don't know which is the best fit or how difficult this would be. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2010, 07:22 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

I have found that the early 70's to late 70's Chevy/GMC van tilt columns work well in a truck like yours. They have NO ugly key in the column, have the built in shift indicator and have good turn signals switches.

They seem to work well and are a good length for those trucks.

I usually find them for around $100 to $125 in my area. They sell for a little more on eBay. The 71/72 Chevy/GMC pickup also works great but as a general rule is a little more difficult to find.

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 11-24-2010, 08:29 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,332 Times in 1,154 Posts
If you are after a more "fitting" look to the rest of the stockish interior the stock column would look a lot better than anything from a "late model" or Ididit or any other tilt column. But if your truck is a mix of late and new anyway that column Deuce suggested is really hard to beat.

If you want to go with the stock one it is going to be a lot more work being it wasn't a "column" at all, it was a steering box and column combination. So to use just the column you are going to need to cut the column and shaft and make up a bearing mounting for the bottom to support the shaft in the column. Then the shaft of course will need to have a spline or something made on the bottom to install a joint.

The original truck had no turn signal switch so you would need to get a passenger car column "bell" for the top, I am running one in my truck from a fifties Vette, along with the Vette wheel. I mean, come on now is there a steering wheel more beautiful in all cardum than a late fifties Corvette?

Brian
Old 11-24-2010, 10:24 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father & Son
My son & I are doing a frame up restorod with our 1950 Chevy AD 1/2 ton

Option 1: an Ididit column complete with mounts, etc..would be nice but can be pricey. Option 2: I am told our stock column can be adapted for use with our TCI IFS, power rack & 700r4 auto trans
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
If you are after a more "fitting" look to the rest of the stockish interior the stock column would look a lot better than anything from a "late model" or Ididit or any other tilt column. But if your truck is a mix of late and new anyway that column Deuce suggested is really hard to beat.

I am running one in my truck from a fifties Vette, along with the Vette wheel. I mean, come on now is there a steering wheel more beautiful in all cardum than a late fifties Corvette?

Brian
He already has a TCI chassis and all the late model good stuff.
He WANTS a Ididit column to fit his build style ...

B U T . . . He wants to NOT pay Ididit price ... so the van column is a GOOD compromise. And a Vette wheel is beautiful but I bet it will cost MORE that the Ididit he does not want to pay for

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 11-24-2010, 10:40 PM

Last photo:

It sounded like he was interested in the stock column as well so I tossed out the idea. Yep the Vette wheel is about $350.

Brian

Old 11-25-2010, 12:37 AM

I appreciate the input. You both read me correct from different angles. My son and I both really like the original look of the truck inside and out (we're even leaning toward keeping the cowl vents and stock bench seat) but are updating things necessary for better handling, comfort (A/C) and of course a little more speed. All things being equal I would go with the stock column but as was pointed out it may be more hassle than it's worth. By the time I get the mounting hardware an Ididit runs about $700-800. The 70's column sounds like the way to go.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:50 AM

Last photo:

Of course an older column without a tilt and or without a shifter can still be found at the bone yards in trucks and vans too.

Brian

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.