Steering Column Harness on a G-body - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2005, 09:43 PM
Flamethrower

Last journal entry: More Cooling fan pictures.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Steering Column Harness on a G-body

I have found I have an intermittent electrical gremlin that seems to be there more than not. I was coming home from racing last friday and about halfway home I noticed my volt gage was low (lower than 10 volts). I drove a little further and my voltage came back up but went away slowly. The voltage appeared to come up when I hit a bump or rough patch of road. I parked it overnight so I could actually work on it. I found the output wire's lug's plastic insulation to be melted. The rubber boot that covers the lug was also charred.

I was just working on it when my father said maybe the problem lies in the steering column. Now, my steering column has been loose for awhile but has just become real loose (up and down has over 1" of play vertically). I can grab the steering wheel and shift it side to side and up and down quite a bit. I was checking the alternator output wire and the wire with fusible link from the starter solenoid and had continuity to ground. I wiggled the wheel and was able to close the circuit(s) so I no longer had continity to ground. This wiring is all stock. Is there a chance that maybe I have an intermittent short to ground in the column that is pulling some good power?

Vehicle is my 82 El Camino. I have the factory wiring diagram in the factory service manual. All the wires under the hood seem to be in fine shape. as is the wiring that I can see under the dash to the column. There was no smoke or fried insulation smell inside or anywhere so I don't think any insulation was burning.

Recap:
Intermittent short. Steering wheel moves...alot. I had continuity to ground, wiggle wheel, circuit closes and no more continuity to ground. Could steering column area/ignition switch be the problem?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2005, 12:25 PM
valve monkey

Last photo:

Can't help with the wiring but...

heres a good "how-to" article on tightening up the column.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/susp..._steering.html

HTH,
Richard
Old 07-29-2005, 01:06 PM
Flamethrower

Last journal entry: More Cooling fan pictures.
Last photo:

Cool, I'll take the column apart and see what I can see for nasty wires. I have been needing to tighten it up anyways.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.