Hot Rod Forum banner

Steering column help..

4K views 27 replies 6 participants last post by  Dajerseyrat 
#1 ·
I have a 67 Camaro with non tilt steering and 4 speed manual tranny. I noticed the blinker arm is not in the right position. Instead of the switch being in the standard 9 o'clock position, it is in the 7 o clock position and hits my leg when I get in the car. Can someone help me with an exploded view of the steering column and let me know if there is a way of clocking the column differently to adjust this issue...

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
It simply looks like the whole steering column is rotated to the left. I am running thru my head how those columns went together and as I remember the upper piece doesn't rotate on the column so the whole column is the only thing that could be off. But take some time to look into the top piece, could it be rotated to bring it up? You will need to pull the steering wheel off. But I think the whole thing is rotated.

Brian

#8 ·
Here is a picture of that column in parts. Notice the rectangular piece that is welded to the column right at the upper bracket. That piece is suppose to go into the bracket one way only, ensuring that the column is straight. But I can imagine someone gorillaing it in there and just forcing it in with the column crooked.
You want to look into that upper section where the switch is located rotating as well, but I am thinking it's the whole column.

Brian

#9 ·
Reactions: Dajerseyrat
#10 ·
Does the TS switch operate properly? Stays in neutral position when off. Cancels when turn signals ore on and the wheel is turned? If so Brian is right . The column is rotated. If so then the saddle that is welded to the column is detached from the column. Drop the kick panel beneath the column and you should see two nuts on studs holding the column. Loosen and rotate.
If the TS arm is just hanging there you have a broken TS switch. Remove the steering wheel and replace it.
BB :D

#15 ·
Could the whole column be rotated? I am not saying if one of us installed it, I am saying if some moron installed it and even though it has that piece of metal welded to it to keep you from putting it in wrong, the clamp does come off the column unlike a later car where that clamp is welded to it. If you stuck it in crooked and just tightened it up wouldn't it allow it to be in there crooked?\

I don't know because it's pretty basic stuff to install on straight, it does have that piece of metal on the side that helps you do it. But if you were drunk or on a three day stooper could you possibly bolt it in rotated?

Brian

#16 ·
Brian, Brian, Brian. You and I are on the same wave length. We all feel your pain. There is nothing any of us can do to help correct this particular problem without sitting in the driver's seat of this car and seeing what the OP is seeing. I think the problem is being able to completely describe what the problem is. It's like going to the doctor and saying "I don't feel well".

#17 ·
Let me clarify, the column appears to be in straight and tight, it just seems that the portion where the blinker assembly is in is rotated about 15-30 degrees from where it is supposed to be..I do not know if it is the correct column for the car, it was in there when I got it, but Im not sure of which column would have the blinker arm pointing down at the 7 o'clock position..

#18 · (Edited)
Can you look under the dash to see if the mounting bracket is engaging both sets of threaded holes in the column (green arrows), or if just one set of holes is being used?

If the column were rotated CCW enough so that the two red arrowed holes were being used instead of the correct holes, the turn signal stalk would be about where yours is now, give or take. Possibility the bracket is shimmed on the left side I suppose. Now why this would have been done is anyone's guess. I suspect the answer is something simpler.

1967-'68 Camaro bracket

#25 ·
I have corrected the issue. Apparently there is some type of locking bracket behind the housing where the blinker switch is located. This bracket slides on and then twists locking it in that position then you fully tighten the screws on the blinker switch holding it in place.

On my column someone had disassembled it at one point and must have tightened the blinker switch all the way down prior to twisting and it was stuck in the position I shown in the pictures.

I impress myself sometimes..LOL
:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.