Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   General Rodding Tech (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/general-rodding-tech/)
-   -   Steering column help.. (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/steering-column-help-227526.html)

Dajerseyrat 12-24-2012 07:00 PM

Steering column help..

1 Attachment(s)
I have a 67 Camaro with non tilt steering and 4 speed manual tranny. I noticed the blinker arm is not in the right position. Instead of the switch being in the standard 9 o'clock position, it is in the 7 o clock position and hits my leg when I get in the car. Can someone help me with an exploded view of the steering column and let me know if there is a way of clocking the column differently to adjust this issue...

DanTwoLakes 12-25-2012 06:50 AM

Moving this to General Rodding Tech.

Dan

Dajerseyrat 01-01-2013 05:52 PM

So the only reply I received was from a moderator moving it...No one has any answers?

cobalt327 01-02-2013 07:38 AM

Can be clocked internally in 120 deg segments iirc but doubt the wiring, etc. will line up right. GIYF.

Dajerseyrat 01-02-2013 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobalt327 (Post 1629700)
Can be clocked internally in 120 deg segments iirc but doubt the wiring, etc. will line up right. GIYF.

Yeah dont know if i need 120 degrees, more like about 15-30 degrees. See my blinker arm pointing downward in the picture?

cobalt327 01-02-2013 08:01 AM

Yeah. Don't rightly know how that could even happen unless the screws were all the way out- as in missing. Can you turn the blinker collar/segment by hand?

MARTINSR 01-02-2013 09:24 AM

It simply looks like the whole steering column is rotated to the left. I am running thru my head how those columns went together and as I remember the upper piece doesn't rotate on the column so the whole column is the only thing that could be off. But take some time to look into the top piece, could it be rotated to bring it up? You will need to pull the steering wheel off. But I think the whole thing is rotated.

Brian

MARTINSR 01-02-2013 09:48 AM

Here is a picture of that column in parts. Notice the rectangular piece that is welded to the column right at the upper bracket. That piece is suppose to go into the bracket one way only, ensuring that the column is straight. But I can imagine someone gorillaing it in there and just forcing it in with the column crooked.
You want to look into that upper section where the switch is located rotating as well, but I am thinking it's the whole column.

Brian

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-61MF72KR-N...ealignment.JPG

MARTINSR 01-02-2013 09:54 AM

This is from a Chevelle site, I believe they are the same.

Issues removing '68 turn signal switch - Chevelle Tech The sister site to Team Chevelle, Team Camaro is very good and you can probably find the answer there. Team Camaro Technical Question & Answer Forum - Camaros.net

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...alcover002.jpg

boothboy 01-02-2013 09:55 AM

Does the TS switch operate properly? Stays in neutral position when off. Cancels when turn signals ore on and the wheel is turned? If so Brian is right . The column is rotated. If so then the saddle that is welded to the column is detached from the column. Drop the kick panel beneath the column and you should see two nuts on studs holding the column. Loosen and rotate.
If the TS arm is just hanging there you have a broken TS switch. Remove the steering wheel and replace it.
BB :D

Dajerseyrat 01-02-2013 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boothboy (Post 1629742)
Does the TS switch operate properly? Stays in neutral position when off. Cancels when turn signals ore on and the wheel is turned? If so Brian is right . The column is rotated. If so then the saddle that is welded to the column is detached from the column. Drop the kick panel beneath the column and you should see two nuts on studs holding the column. Loosen and rotate.
If the TS arm is just hanging there you have a broken TS switch. Remove the steering wheel and replace it.
BB :D

It functions properly..If the steering column is rotated then I will also have to re position the steering wheel on the column..

Dajerseyrat 01-02-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 1629738)
Here is a picture of that column in parts. Notice the rectangular piece that is welded to the column right at the upper bracket. That piece is suppose to go into the bracket one way only, ensuring that the column is straight. But I can imagine someone gorillaing it in there and just forcing it in with the column crooked.
You want to look into that upper section where the switch is located rotating as well, but I am thinking it's the whole column.

Brian

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-61MF72KR-N...ealignment.JPG

Those square tabs on the steering column where the support bolts to, aren't they welded to it?

cobalt327 01-02-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dajerseyrat (Post 1629805)
Those square tabs on the steering column where the support bolts to, aren't they welded to it?

Yes. If the turn sig. collar isn't loose, and the column is actually bolted into the mounting bracket the way it's supposed to be, the column or bracket or both are not the original(s). If there are no bolts holding the column to the mount you'd surely have felt it moving around.

Can you move the signal collar by hand?

Dajerseyrat 01-02-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobalt327 (Post 1629816)

Can you move the signal collar by hand?

nope...:confused:

MARTINSR 01-02-2013 05:12 PM

Could the whole column be rotated? I am not saying if one of us installed it, I am saying if some moron installed it and even though it has that piece of metal welded to it to keep you from putting it in wrong, the clamp does come off the column unlike a later car where that clamp is welded to it. If you stuck it in crooked and just tightened it up wouldn't it allow it to be in there crooked?\

I don't know because it's pretty basic stuff to install on straight, it does have that piece of metal on the side that helps you do it. But if you were drunk or on a three day stooper could you possibly bolt it in rotated?

Brian