Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Steering column question
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2003, 08:08 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Sure, there's a cheap alternative. When you're out in the yeard shopping for a column, pull the universals from a couple cars too. The Ford Taurus has a couple of them in it and they use a 3/4" "double D" that will fit the GM column. Some GMs have them also. I had to trim the end of the stub shaft on the Ford joint and drill a new bolt hole, but it works fine on the GM column. I picked up a couple steering shafts with u-joints and cobbled the two together to get what I needed. The GM shaft can be pulled out with a little persuasion, then trim the tube and shaft to length desired. I used one end of a Ford shaft slipped into the end of a GM shaft. I left the spring tensioner out so the shaft slipped in/out easy, but there is over a foot of overlap between the solid and hollow portion. I figure it's a safety if I'm ever in a serious wreck -- it will pull apart. The lower joint would have to break or otherwise come completely apart and fall out before the shaft would come out, so there's no danger of normal wear causing an accident.