Steering column rebuild? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2010, 09:06 AM

Last wiki edit: Electrolytic rust removal
Last journal entry: 2.75 in..3.50 posi out
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Steering column rebuild?

I've got an older, (80s?), GM steering column mounted in my 56' Ford panel truck. I like the fit, but it seems a little worn and has some excessive play. Do they make rebuild kits for the bearings etc. for steering columns? Would I be better off getting a newer column? Anyone know what years and makes would be a good fit for my truck?
thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2010, 10:56 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

when and if I run into play i start with the steering box and then thru all the flex joints until I find the source..remember that if you have just a little play in each component by the of time you get to the steering wheel there can be quite a bit of play as it all adds up..Dunno about rebuilt columns as there is not all that much to fix in one of those..

Sam
Old 08-02-2010, 12:57 PM
ASE Master Tech, Fabricator

Last wiki edit: Taurus 2-speed fan control wiring diagram Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

If it's a tilt column, it's probably got a classic case of the tilt knuckle bolts loosening up. It will require some dis-assembly to get to them, but you can loctite them one by one and snug them up and it's good as new.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:00 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwyhogg
I've got an older, (80s?), GM steering column mounted in my 56' Ford panel truck. I like the fit, but it seems a little worn and has some excessive play. Do they make rebuild kits for the bearings etc. for steering columns? Would I be better off getting a newer column? Anyone know what years and makes would be a good fit for my truck?
thanks
In addition, if the column is a tilt, they can loosen over time. Often all that's needed, is just to retighten all the fasteners that hold the tilt together. But a lot depends on just why the column has "excessive play", so use OMT's suggestion to isolate where the problem lies.

There are bearings for the shaft, I believe the consensus last time this came up was to remove the bearing(s) in question and, by using the ID markings from the bearing itself, source a new one.

A few years ago, I'd have said to just hit up the junk yard for another similar column, but that's not so easy anymore, being as how many of the RWD cars w/'good' columns are crushed by now.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:02 PM

Mark, you'd probably be surprised how often those bearings interchange between GM , Chrysler, and some Fords.
I don't believe I've ever seen one worn out, but I have seen them missing ball bearings from being too loose, or somebody not paying attention re-assembling the column.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:07 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Any idea of who makes steering columns? Like Saginaw, or someone like that? Last time I looked for any OEM bearing p/n's, I came up blank... Maybe a dealership could come up w/them, but they'd be cheaper from an outside supplier, I'd think.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:11 PM

I know they are one part manufacturer for multiple OEMs. I had a GM column apart one time where more than half the balls were missing from a column bearing, and happened to have a Chrysler bearing kit on the shelf that I'd had to buy to get one piece that was broken and wasn't sold separately, and sure enough, the bearings were the same, so I started collecting a few here and there from "parts" columns, and a LOT is the same.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:21 PM

Last photo:

thanks for the tips....the column is coupled with one joint to a mustang power steering rack that has been rebuilt..It has never been used since I purchased it, (the rack), so I know that part's not worn...the play I'm talking about is the side to side motion---like when the car is on the ground and you can move the steering wheel a little before the shaft starts to move the rack. The car is not finished, ie. I haven't hooked up the power steering pump and lines nor gotten the engine running yet. Perhaps it won't be as noticeable then? It seems like it should have a little less play though...I want it to be safe of course.....I just don't want to shell out three to four hundred bucks on a column right now....maybe I'll post some pics or video and see what you guys think...I've never taken a column apart...never needed to, but I guess that's the best way to rule out any loose screws LOL...p.s. it IS getting harder to find this type of column in the junk, er um salvage yards...It has tilt with NO shifter on the column.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:39 PM

If the "tilt knuckle" bolts are loose, you will be able to move the steering wheel up and down, and it will pivot where it normally tilts, but without pulling the lever. If you're talking about radial play, there is only one place in the steering shaft inside the column that could get sloppy, and I've never seen one worn enough to have ANY play in it there, so chances are your play is outside the firewall somewhere.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:42 PM

Last photo:

Way to go!

On separate note, CONGRATS to US...I just noticed all the guys that are on this thread are SB lawsuit donors ! Also RICKRACER, noticed you did a Wiki article on the Taurus fan...I don't have a Taurus fan, but I need to wire up two 12" fans. Looks like I could use that set up with the exception of the two speed fan...can I PM you with my questions or should I start another thread in electrical? Did I just hijack my own thread ?? LOL
Old 08-03-2010, 12:48 PM

Last photo:

Yes, I'm talking about radial play, (thanks for finding the word for me)...the tilting action seems fine with no slop and will only tilt when I pull the lever...At least I know It most likely is NOT in the column....you may just saved my column from my inquiring tool set of a hammer and screw driver
Thanks
Old 08-03-2010, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwyhogg
... Looks like I could use that set up with the exception of the two speed fan...can I PM you with my questions or should I start another thread in electrical? ...
Either way, whichever you are most comfortable with,
Old 08-03-2010, 01:18 PM

Last photo:

Okay, I'll post in electrical later...mostly so newbies with similar questions will benefit...thanks

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.