steering gear box - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 06:03 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

steering gear box

I'm installing a new steering box this weekend, can anyone help me with what all I need to align it. It is a 1955 chevy with the original shaft going to the steering wheel. I'm not sure if the old one was in right. So I'm pretty much starting over. Any ideas would be great. I have an idea what to do but advise is always great. Thanks Dan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 10:04 PM

Last photo:

Without knowing anything else...or when I just don't know anything else...I like to turn the shaft on the steering box all the way over one way to the stop (by hand), then turn it all the way the other direction while counting rotations to it's stop, then go halfway back. Then hook up the steering wheel centered. Really you should consider the angle of the pittman arm vs. the rest of the linkage also, but this will get you by. Once the steering box is centered thusly, your tie rod lengths should also be the same, when the wheels are pointed straight...if not, just kinda fudge everything a little to work it out.

Obviously if there are index marks, flat spots, skipped splines or whatever to indicate indexes on the particular components you need to include that in your considerations.
The Following User Says Thank You to kso For This Useful Post:
dan schatz (02-08-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 07:32 AM

Last photo:

steering box

if this is a NEW install then u'll need to align it with steering shaft and weld in bracket for mounting. if your replacing and looks a little off, go to auto parts and buy a "rag joint" coupler. that'll take care of the slight offset. i used one when i built my bucket.. measured all day long and came out a nats butt off. so the rag joint solved that problem..
The Following User Says Thank You to delawarebill For This Useful Post:
dan schatz (02-08-2013)
Old 02-08-2013, 06:36 AM

Thanks for your help, I just don't know if I do the turn right and left and center and then install my wheel. The shaft and steering wheel have notches cut in them but I don't know if they both have to line up or if I should just center it. Then I'll adjust my tie rod ends to center the collars and then install my pitman arm and then when this dang snow melts I'll take it in and have a alignment done. Thanks for your help. This is a great website.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:46 AM

Last photo:

steering

yes. get it as close to center as u can.. driving it will tell u the end result of any adj u need. since its a '55 the front end alignment will take care of that.
The Following User Says Thank You to delawarebill For This Useful Post:
dan schatz (02-08-2013)

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.