Steering hook up to Must II rack - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2003, 11:11 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Steering hook up to Must II rack

OK, having a hard time visualizing the geometry of hooking my Must 2 rack to a column, vehicle is a 39 chev pickup. Where the column exits the cab it will not be a straight line to the rack do to engine mount crossmember. Ive heard of using a support bearing and 3 u joints but that puts two weird angles in it. Anybody have a good picture of the setup?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2003, 11:45 AM
Rebuilt Excitment

Last photo:

As long as the angle of the joints do not exceed the recommendations of the u-joint manufacturer you should not have a problem. There is the possibility that you may need to use one of the double joints, but that is also not a problem. Check out the web sites for both Borgeson and Flaming River. They should have pictures.

http://www.borgeson.com/

http://www.flaming-river.com/
Old 11-21-2003, 02:09 PM

Last photo:

I understand the u joints, but the rack mount points towards the frame at an angle. It seems that one of the shafts would need to be parrallel to the frame. wish i had access to a scanner to draw the pic.

I u had an overhead view it looks like the 2 shafts and the frame would make a "K" pattern

I think just seeing a pic of a completed set up with support bearing would be just the ticket.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:46 PM
ASE Master

Last journal entry: Wireing
Last photo:

You can run the shaft like a snake if you have to but when more than 2 joints are used you have to put in a stationary bearing. Look at Heidts Hot rods web page they also have the stering shafts and couples for almost all columns. Used the 4 times now any you can't believe the bends. You make a mock up with wood dowels the cut the shafts.

The first joint coming off the box is able to bent at 60 degrees and will clear the frame.
Old 11-22-2003, 10:36 PM

Last photo:

If I understand your discription of the steering and the frame forming the letter 'K' , it shouldn't need to if the point where the lines meet is where you are thinking of putting the support bearing.
The support bearing only needs to be mounted to a STRONG bracket,but doesn't have to mount directly to the frame,so as to support the intermediate shaft.
A bracket can be made from the frame that mounts the bearing in the desired location to clear obstacles,and to reduce the angle that the U-joints must lign up to.
I hope this makes sense
I'm not sure how else to explain it.
Good luck
Old 11-23-2003, 04:57 AM
Rebuilt Excitment

Last photo:

Have you taken out the factory rag joint, and just have the stub coming from the rack? This will give you a little extra room if you have not already done it. Come off the rack with a u-joint and they a short shaft going into the support bearing, after the bearing attach another joint and then a shaft to get close to the column and then another joint to attach to the column. The one at the column you could use one of the vibration damper units that are available, I did not and do not have any problems on my 36.
Old 11-23-2003, 04:47 PM
Last photo:

Here is a link to a website that shows a three u-joint installation with a support beraing.

http://www.project33.com/article.cfm?ID=562

Vince
Old 11-24-2003, 09:30 AM

Last photo:

Thanks guys, those sites helped. Im thinking 3 shafts, 4 joints and 2 support bearings to suck it right up against the frame.

Another question, do i HAVE to run a u joint off the rack or would the damper work just fine. As long as every thing lines up?
Old 11-24-2003, 11:08 AM
Rebuilt Excitment

Last photo:

I would run a u-joint off of the rack and use one of the combination u-joint/dampers coming off the column.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.