Steering Post Location on 29 Ford Highboy - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2014, 12:10 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Steering Post Location on 29 Ford Highboy

Fellas, I have a 29 Ford Highboy Roadster. I purchased it as a completed hot rod. The steering column and wheel seem to be located too far to the left. The seat position is in proper location and when you look at it from the back, the steering wheel is at least 3 to 4 inches to the left. A friend of mine has a 28 highboy and when I get in his and I am a big guy, I slide in easily. On mine, I can't slide in at all, so I have to stand up to get around the steering wheel which also can be tilted. Question is, can I just relocated the mount, which is an aluminum one over 3 to 4 inches without having to modify the knuckle steering system. Or do I have to modify the universal knuckle to accommodate the extra 3 to 4 inches of movement. Any help on this would really be appreciated. Thanks The Spudman

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2014, 11:35 PM

Last photo:

you may have to modify the length of the steering shaft. depending on the angle of the original shaft it may impede total movement of the u-joint. the more acute the angle, the less likely you are to trim the shaft. depending on how the column is mounted, moving it laterally may or may not be difficult.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:18 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Ouch!! It sounds like whoever built the car had an awakening after everything else was done. Your best bet - pull everything out and start over. By just moving the column over, you change u-joint angles and then angle the actual wheel in relation to the dash - and still be uncomfortable to drive. You will need to consider your seating position and your actual body size for the best location. Then too is the actual wheel tilting adjustments and their limits. Not a fun job, but it sure can make driving the car a lot more fun. The engine in my '31 is set back a couple inches more then usual so it can be 'interesting' to figure out the right place and angles for steering columns. Here are a couple of photos for you to judge where thing should be since Model A chassis are all virtually the same:

BUT IT IS IN THE CORRECT PLACE

Dave W
Old 02-08-2014, 08:51 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

Irelands child build picts

Dave has posted a lot of picts over the years of his A roadster, (I have an 28 A roadster that needs a complete rebuild) He has added a lot to steel tubing to beef up the body structure.
A question for you Dave . is there a build journal of your roadster. ?
Old 02-08-2014, 09:19 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale View Post
Dave has posted a lot of picts over the years of his A roadster, (I have an 28 A roadster that needs a complete rebuild) He has added a lot to steel tubing to beef up the body structure.
A question for you Dave . is there a build journal of your roadster. ?
Way back I just barely started a journal, but when I went to make changes if I went a different direction, the site wouldn't let me, so abandoned it. I'll answer anyone's questions on an 'A' build as to what worked (or didn't) for me, though either via the normal thread route or PM.

Dave W
Old 02-08-2014, 10:10 PM

Last photo:

Dave, thanks for the pictures and reply. I am going to take your advise and start over and take it all apart. It is a fiberglass body and will have to be pretty precise. Right now the steering wheel is aprox. 1 1/2" away from the door and the turn lever is almost touching the door. I want to make it right so I can easily get in the car and also make it safe instead of angled while sitting. I don't know what the guy was thinking by not centering the wheel to the seat. Its mounted really well and the steering is precise when going down the road just to far over. I would like to thank you for the info. The Spudman
Old 02-09-2014, 03:53 AM

Last photo:

Good thinkin Spudman,
Just went through the same thing on a 32.
Have no clue how the original builder drove it for 900 miles.
Double D shaft was hittin the headers.
Yanked it all out and redid it.
First patched the hole in the firewall, then re stabbed it in the proper place, ended up where everything cleared, steering wheel was centered, and all I had to modify was cut 7/8 " off the DD shaft and move the column drop down 1"
3 hr fix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014 3 winder 018.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	255.0 KB
ID:	120353  
Old 02-09-2014, 06:54 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

reinfircing a glass body.

I don't know how much reinforcement there is in your glass body. The last T bucket glass body I built I bent some 1 in 090 wall sq tubing into an inverted U to bolt to the frame and up each side and across the bottom of the instrument panel for steering column support. I used my harbor freight pipe bender with out the top rollers, got it as close to the skin on the sides as possible.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.