steering problems - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2007, 09:23 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

steering problems

i have a 2000 sonoma and my problem is it is all over the road..a gust of wind hits your from either side and it darts in that direction. or if you hit a puddle of water with one wheel and it goes to the wheel that hit the water.. i have replaced the idler arm cause it had play in it new front tires, had it lined up and rechecked and a second shop and it was still within specs..the rear wheels have play in them (side to side) is that has anything to do with it ..
also it tries to follow the slop of the road and if you correct it it tries to goes the direction that you are steeringthe wheel but it seems that the wheels are moving faster that the steering wheel it has a front sway bar and rear helper spring to help reduce sway but it still goes back and forth any ideas

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2007, 09:02 AM
mostly confused

Last journal entry:
Last photo:

If everything is lined up properly, caster,camber and toe. You could be looking at a couple of things. Have you checked the wheel bearings? It should have shown up on the alignment but it is still possible. How much play does the steering gear have?? Is the pump supplying too much pressure making it over sensitive? How does the steering shaft slip spline look? Does it use a u-joint or rag joint?? And on the rear axle shafts just how much play does it have?? they can have a fair amount and be just fine. Just a few things to consider looking at. Brian
Old 02-22-2007, 04:56 PM

Last photo:

How much play is an allowable amount on the rear axle? i havent measured it yet, when i go to measure it how much should i say is an allowable amount before i should be concerned? the front wheel bearings do have play if you jack the truck up it may move in 1/16 to 1/18 inch. how would i go about determining if the pump is putting in too much pressure. it was moving around before i had it lined up and i cant tell if having it lined up helped or didnt do anything at all. im not sure, i wasnt paying close attention. the reason i had it lined up was preventive maintenance and it made me more concious of it cause i thought the line up was done wrong. i had several line up tests done. the tires are not wearing improperly. im lost why it is following the road like it does and when the wind blows it feels like it is moving. would the sway bar being on the front cause the steering to act more sensitive than one that doesnt have one on the front?
Old 02-22-2007, 07:25 PM
mostly confused

Last journal entry:
Last photo:

theoretically you should have near 0 end play,but would need to check a service manual for the spec on allowable axle shaft end play, but as a general rule I have had them up to1/8 inch and be "ok". The front wheel bearings can be removed and repacked w/grease and adjusted to 0 end play, no preload just at 0. If the tires are not wearing improperly the alignment is probably correct. There is nothing more than a front end alignment man loves more than to tell you something is worn out and must be corrected before they can align it.So if youv'e had it checked several times it probably is ok.You would have to have a pressure gauge in line with the pressure hose, not generally a problem and probably not what is the cause. Do you have the right kind and size tire recommended for the vehicle? Some following of the ruts in the road is normal, and movement in the wind is too. have you had this vehicle long? or are these symptoms that have just started occuring? I'll re check my post tonight on my lunch break and work around 1am. Brian
Old 02-22-2007, 08:50 PM

Last photo:

it calls for 205 70 15 and i have 215 70 15 uniroyal tiger paw tires. i have had the truck 2 yrs but it was 5 years old when i got it. the problems just started occuring. i am going to jack up the lower a frames and take the tires off the ground so i can check the ball joint for play and check the upper and lower a frame bushings. i got home too late to check the collapsable steering section to see if it is a u joint or rag joint. what do you think about the lower bearing/bronze sleeve in the gear box that holds the shaft that the pittman arm is attached to. on the right rear tires you can grab the tire sitting down facing the side of the vehicle at 9 o clock and 3 o clock and you can feel the tire moving. do you think a narrower front tire would help and also and what do you think about a steering dampering shock.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.