Steering problems with '86 GMC Jimmy - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2012, 03:37 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Steering problems with '86 GMC Jimmy

I've got an '86 GMC Jimmy that's having steering problems...of some sort. I went to pull out of a parking lot one day and there was a POP, as I turned the wheel to pull into the first lane the truck went straight into the third. When I turn the wheel it'll go from slack to tight and the truck seems like it's trying to "catch up" in the turn, then it'll go slack again. A small bump with send it swerving all over the road.
The first thing we replaced was the steering box. I took it down the beach in 4WD and it did fine. When I got home I noticed the passenger side front was smoking right behind the wheel. I'm thinking that may have something to do with it but not sure...It drove fine for a while, but then the same thing happened again. It'll drive now in 4WD. but you can still feel that somethings off. Also i have to turn the steering wheel about 2 full rotations before the wheels will turn.
Someone told me to replace the Tie Rods. So, that's what I'm doing next.

Anyone know what exactly is going on? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2012, 05:26 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautiful_chaos
Also i have to turn the steering wheel about 2 full rotations before the wheels will turn.

And you're still driving it??

If you climb up under it- not jacked up, just sitting in park or with the parking brake set and/or wheels chocked so it cannot roll- have someone work the steering wheel one way then back the other way while you watch to see where the play is. Two full revolutions of the steering wheel could be a stripped spline on the steering box output shaft or trashed steering box. And there could be bad tie rod ends, a loose Pittman or idler arm, a shot center link or even bad ball joints adding to the problem.

It sounds like this would be a good time to go through the entire front end steering and suspension and repair or replace as needed.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327

And you're still driving it??

If you climb up under it- not jacked up, just sitting in park or with the parking brake set and/or wheels chocked so it cannot roll- have someone work the steering wheel one way then back the other way while you watch to see where the play is. Two full revolutions of the steering wheel could be a stripped spline on the steering box output shaft or trashed steering box. And there could be bad tie rod ends, a loose Pittman or idler arm, a shot center link or even bad ball joints adding to the problem.

It sounds like this would be a good time to go through the entire front end steering and suspension and repair or replace as needed.

Oh no, I'm not driving it. My dad said its okay to drive but I refuse to. Don't want to mess it up anymore. This is my first vehicle, so i'm planning on fixing it up.
Oh and I actually replaced the steering box twice...hoping i don't have to do that again. Thanks so much for the help! I'll start with the tie rod ends and go from there. It seems to puzzle most people I talk to about it...so Thanks again!
Old 05-23-2012, 09:34 PM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

Do what Colbalt 327 said. Have some one GENTLY move the steering wheel back and forth until the tires start to move. Note what was moving around sloppily underneath and start there. Keep replacing parts until there is no more slop.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.