Steering rack installation question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2007, 05:15 PM

Last journal entry: Brake? Steering?
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Steering rack installation question

So, I'm building a 55 Ford rod, running a 429. Have upgraded the spindles to granada and have the disk brakes set up and in place. I was going to run the stock steering column / gear with the Granada steering cylinder which mounts up well but the 429 exhaust manifold interferes with the box. I have the steering column / brake pedal hangar from the Granada. This last weekend I set up this mount on my firewall along with the manual brake master cylinder for Granada disk / drum set up. All is well. I am looking now at using a steering rack from either a mustang or cavalier as I've heard the Cavalier works well in this application. However, I've read of others here that have had problems with the GM rack and Ford pump or vise versa. I am leaning toward using a 74 - 78 Mustang rack as my 429 P.S. Pump should work and the threads are SAE and NOT metric. Does anybody have any insight on this? What about mounting the rack? I'm thinking I could mount with some modification, to the cross member under the engine. (I changed my oil pan to front sump for this purpose). Am I on the right track? Any reasons to use the Cavalier rack over the Mustang?

Thanks Rodders!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2007, 08:45 AM

Last wiki edit: Swapping to rack and pinion steering
Last journal entry: 53 coupe
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 88

Steering rack installation question

There is a new wiki, Under - Swapping to rack and pinion steering - Cavalier Rack and Pinion install. just the first draft, but it should help. Cavlier rack is used mostly when you need tie rod ends longer than you can get from a mustang rack. Other considerations - Mustang racks operate around 750 PSI, Cavalier racks around 1,000 PSI. Old style PS pumps (GM) put out up to 1350 PSI, so the typical SBC with Gm pump and mustang rack has a pressure / flow mismatch. There are tricks to reduce both in a GM pump. I am clueless on a Ford PS pump. But those are the two main issues you need to deal with, length of inner tie rod and rack location to avoid bump steer: and matching flow and pressure between pump and rack. Maybe a ford guy could help more. Good luck.
Old 11-06-2007, 11:53 AM

Last photo:

Cavalier Rack on a Ford

Thanks Old Guy. I appreciate your input and I will check out the wiki. Everything is helpful here.

It seems that if I were to use a GM rack, I'd want to use the matching GM PS pump too, right? I'd imagine that I'd need to fabricate a mount to fit my 429. At the same time, if I were to use a Mustang rack, then I'd want to use a Mustang PS pump so pressures and lines would fit. I've read that using different components require not only pressure modifications but also custom line fabrication. Seems like you would want lines that are easily purchased on the road at a normal parts house in case of failure, right?

I may have to have a parts friend pull both the cavalier rack and mustang rack so I can look at them both for size / length considerations. I read that the Cavalier rack uses metric threaded ends while the 89 Mustang uses good old SAE, that is another consideration.

Thank you for your help. I do appreciate it!

Ron
Old 11-06-2007, 12:06 PM

Last photo:

Hey Old Guy, where is this wiki located????

I've been searching for the wiki you mention regarding the swapping to a Cavalier rack but can't find it. Can you give me the string so I can go to it?

Thanks!
Old 11-07-2007, 05:26 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

You are restricted to using a GM rack as they are rear steer and FORD RWD are front steer (There is a TAURUS (FWD) rear steer changeover but it has turning radius problems). The MUST II kit is front steer but you are limited to the MUST II spindle and 11" brakes (usually GM calipers ).

FATMAN FABRICATIONS is supposed to make a mounting kit for your year (you supply rack). -WURTH-IT DESIGNS- makes kits for 57/64 and may be able to adapt it to 54/56.

As for pump pressure, you would have to find the pressure requirement for the rack and match the pump to it (SAGINAW pumps were used by FORD and should be easy to find a mounting braket(s) for your 55).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cavalier Rack Pressures.gif
Views:	161
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	25365  
Old 11-07-2007, 08:46 AM

Last photo:

steering rack installation request

Here you go. http://crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/...inion_Steering

Personally, I think it is much easier to tweak the pump pressure and flow to match the rack, than it is to build cutom brackets to mount the pump, aligning pulleys, and finding a belt that works.
As kultulz says, a little research up front may identify a pump that works out of the box. If you do have to tweak it, it's in the fittings, which can be swapped to a new pump in minutes, if you have to replace the pump.
Our local hot rod shop carries adapters to change the metric cavalier fitting to an old fashioned flare fitting, so that's not a big deal.
None of this was meant to deter you in any way. As long as you know what the issues are, many solutions are OK. Get er done.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:19 AM

Last photo:

You guys are worth your weight in gold!

Thanks for the string old guy. I did find the string and realized that I had to "sign up" in order to view it. So, I've read through your post there. Very informative and helpful for the next guys trying to do what you've done. Thank you very much.

Yes, I've pretty much decided to go with the Cavalier rack. I did see a post with a chart showing pump pressures listed and I emailed that to myself and saved it in my "55 Ford" file. I have the PS pump that came with my 429 so I'll see what I can do to modify that one before I buy another.

Old guy, you mention that your local hotrod shop carries adapters to change the fittings. Is this something that can be purchased at a NAPA parts store or ??? . We're a fairly large community here in Spokane, WA but I'm not aware of any hotrod specific stores. Is there a brand that I can check on line? I'll try Googling the adapters and see what comes up.
I've also found that the guys at Speedway are really helpful, perhaps they carry something.

Kultulz, you remain to be very helpful, thank you too. I'll check out both Fatman's and Wurth it designs' sites. I was "pawing around" on Fatman's yesterday and was disappointed with the difficulty I had in navigating it.

The 55 Ford has a great crossmember that looks to be the perfect place to mount the rack as it should line right up with everything. I'm wondering if the inner tie rod ends I'm currently using will be long enough to reach the stubs on the rack. Are these usually listed in parts books by length so I can call my buddy at NAPA and have him check for what I need when the time comes?

I've slowed down a bit on my rod work but keep struggling along as time and money allows and I will, "get 'er done!"

Thanks guys, these postings will be very helpful to the next guy wanting to do the same thing! I just wish it was easier to find them in Hotrodders.com's site! Maybe I just haven't found the easiest way to access the information yet! Too bad you can't sort by application. Lots of Chev / GM stuff, fewer Ford issues, it would be great to sort by make / manufacturer!

Old 11-07-2007, 09:52 PM

Last photo:

steering rack installation

Adapters. Not commonly available. I hit a dozen places looking for someone to make a hose with standard flare on one end and metric o ring on the other, before I found out about the adapters. Alamo Hot Rods 210 656 7637 has the adapters. I'm sure they can point you to a closer source, or mail them to you.
The rack install is prety generic. Helped a buddy with one on a 49 ford. Same issues, same solutions, just a different frame to hang it on.
PM me if you have specific questions.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.