Thread: Steering shaft
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2006, 12:45 AM
abstruse dutch uncle

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10xGN
Well that may be what the experts say, but I can tell you for a fact that my intermediate shaft flopped all over the place without one. It's a spooky feeling when you give the steering wheel a half turn before the front wheels start to move. Luckily for me, all this was hashed out before driving it!

Russ
From the pic it looks like that might be because you have much too sharp of an angle. The longevity of your joints may be minimal. The smoothness may not last long because of such a steep angle. A properly set up joint should last near forever, or at least 100,000 miles IMO. Your angle, IMO is excessive, at least from the pics.

For chiss, set it up like a drive shaft if you can, as alluded to above. There is plenty of info out there about pinion angles, and how they relate to transmissions. If they are above a certain angle, the manufacturer will use a double u-joint or CV joint as well as a support bearing AND an additional shaft, for smoothness and longevity. If there is not an exact product out there to suit you needs, I'm sure one can be fabricated... and one of those sites mentioned above may help with custom work for you. A support bearing should not be needed unless more than one shaft is used.

Just dont do that chain operated steering monstrosity I saw on T.V. It was likely at Burning Man, which is a good place for it, not on the road

Last edited by yesgo; 01-17-2006 at 12:50 AM. Reason: d'oh