Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Steering shaft
Thread: Steering shaft
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2006, 03:00 PM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon
Hi. S10xGN, When you say intermediate shaft, Do you mean you have more than 1 pc of shaft between the steering box and the column? If you do than it would seem like you would have 3 u-joints. On my 38 I have a u-joint on the input shaft of the rack. I have another u-joint on the end of the steering column. Between these 2 u-joints I have 1 pc of double d shaft. That's all. The 2 u-joints are both single u-joints not double u-joints. The reason I'm trying to clarify this is in case I'm missing something, I don't want to be telling people the wrong thing, especialy about th steering.

Moon
My setup is identical to (the description of) yours. Without the support bearing, when I turned the steering wheel the front wheels would not move until after the top u-joint would deflect the intermediate shaft enough to bang into the header (3/4" away). This deflection absorbed about a half a turn on the wheel, not to mention putting the joints in a bind. Why? I have no idea, other than maybe my steering column's lower bearing may be trashed or missing.

IIRC, all this was hashed out with a Borgeson rep over the phone and this is what we came up with (this was 5 yrs ago and I've slept since then). It has performed flawlessly since the support bearing was installed. Just goes to show you, every case is different. Might not be the way you'd do it, but it works for me!

Russ