Steering "shimmy" - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2002, 07:13 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Steering "shimmy"

I have recently finished a '33 Ford coupe with a dropped Super Bell axle, leaf spring, Vega style steering box and manual rack. I'm noticing a slight amount of shimmy in the steering wheel whenever I'm making a really gradual turn (like on the interstate) at speeds of 50 or higher. The shimmy isn't violent, but annoying and since I've never run into this on any previous streetrods, I'm concerned.... can anyone shed some light on this or offer suggestions???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2002, 03:00 PM
Slider in Wa.

Last photo:

Beleave it or not check you wheel bearings. I had same thing, and turned out the bearing were not tight enough.
Slider in Wa.
Old 09-09-2002, 03:41 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

definitely check first. with the car parked grab the top of the tire and yank back and forth a few times, if you hear noise tighten the spindle nut-(put on jack stands-tighten till it just starts dragging).
Old 09-11-2002, 08:05 AM

Slider and bullheimer... thanks for the reply. That's too obvious and th efirst thing I should have checked!!! I always go for the worst case scenario, and overlook the most obvious... I'll let you know what I find.
Old 09-13-2002, 12:31 PM

Last photo:

Talking

The boys are right but also check out So-Cals steering damper, what an improvement them things make, it will stop any shimmy on that set up.
Good luck.
Old 09-13-2002, 12:41 PM

Red face

[quote]The boys are right but also check out So-Cals steering damper, what an improvement them things make, it will stop any shimmy on that set up <hr></blockquote>

"hotrod****" So if you put a stering dampner on a front end that has bad wheel bearings. itll fix it? what about bad king pins? will it fix that?......oh yea and I gotta another idea. why not pick the highest priced catalog on the
Old 09-14-2002, 08:33 AM

Last photo:

[quote]Originally posted by DragLinkscc:
<strong>

"hotrod****" So if you put a stering dampner on a front end that has bad wheel bearings. itll fix it? what about bad king pins? will it fix that?......oh yea and I gotta another idea. why not pick the highest priced catalog on the</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hey Draglink, if you actually read my post, i confirm what the other guys state by checking for any mechanical defects or wear. I simply state that a damper will improve things, maybe you should drive a car with one on, or check the price , #001-60755 $34.95 not a high price on our freind Stubby's '33 coupe considering he has a Super Bell axle & Vega style box.
Sorry but i think your response was a little harsh, lets keep this place freindly!
no hard feelings eh.
Old 09-17-2002, 10:15 AM

I went through the front end with a fine tooth comb over the weekend. Wheel bearings were not loose, but I jacked the front end up, spun the wheels and tightened the spindle nuts to about 50 ft-lbs then backed off to the next key hole.... no change, the shimmy is still there. I checked the kingpins and they're tight. My next step is to tighten the steering box adjustment a bit, but I think I'm going to order a damper. Don't know where else to turn.... thanks to all for your input. I'm new to the website, but it's good to bounce problems off a bunch of greasy gear heads...
Old 09-17-2002, 12:20 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

How is your toe-in? For solid axle car, front of tures should be 1/8" to 3/16" closer in the front than the rear.

Also, do your front wheels have an extremely different positive or negative offset from the original? When you draw a line thru the center of your tire and another thru the center of the kingpin, the two lines should ideally intersect exactly where the tire meets the road. If they don't maybe your tires are scrubbing their way around corners.

The steering on my Willys got really easier when I put 4 1/2" wheels in place of the 6" ones I was running. (New ones can be seen in my Photo Album, old ones are in the Avatar picture).
Old 09-17-2002, 02:55 PM

Based on what you have done, I would guess you have a steering geometry problem. My truck has a clip in it and it is possible, if not perfectly aligned that one can weld in a permanent geometry problem. I would take the car to an alignment shop and have them put it on the rack and take a reading of where it is now. They will spot very obvious problems quickly. I have done this in the past and they will tell you that you are way off very quickly and what you need to do to correct it, usually they will just print a computer print out of all the geometry adjustments needed.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.