Steering support bearing deflection - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012, 11:37 AM
valve monkey

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Steering support bearing deflection

Hello all. I'm finishing up my steering on the '36 Chevy and have a question. First the setup..

Late model Mustang power rack, then a single u-joint, then 17" of DD shaft to a Double U-joint, then a 15" DD shaft into the cabin with a thru-firewall support bearing in the center of that span, then to a single u-joint connected to an IDIDIT "Shorty" column.

I added a spherical rod end style support bearing to the first shaft as close to the double u-joint as possible (about an inch away). because I had to route the steering fairly high and away from the frame rails (not my preferred route but that's what's available) the support bearing is about 9" above the frame rail and had to have a tall bracket built to be able to reach the shaft in the desired location.

I've got it built and it works smoothly (even without the motor running). Now here's the question...

When I turn the wheel I can see the bracket and rod end deflect slightly (less than 1/16"). Is this an issue? I can continue to add bracing to the bracket but it's quickly turning into "Frankenbracket". I've tied it into the motor mounts for support (triangulation) but it still moves a little bit.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2012, 07:34 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Can u put up some pictures of this setup?
Old 04-30-2012, 10:39 AM
valve monkey

Last photo:

Bob, I've attached a pic. After looking at it again (and again and again!), I think the primary issue is with the type of rod end I'm using. As you can see, it has about a 3" long "body" and this gives it tremendous leverage against the bracket. I think a rod end with a theaded shaft joined with a different bracket might aleviate the issue.

As I said earlier, the steering works smoothly and the deflection is VERY slight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4300329.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	432.7 KB
ID:	65059  
Old 04-30-2012, 11:12 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

I recently finished my Steering setup as well, and I too had the same issue of having to stabilize that Shaft-

What I did differently was to make a Bracket that held it from the side so that it couldn't deflect as easy-it looks to me that while you have supported your Bearing, it is still being held straight up, and that is what is allowing the deflection-

That slop has to go somewhere, so I think I would re-engineer the angle on your Bracket-
Old 04-30-2012, 11:44 AM
valve monkey

Last photo:

35WINDOW, I agree. The issue is having something to mount it to. Perhaps a simple C-channel upright with the rod end coming from the side. With a support arm welded from the upright to the motor mount, it would probably be stifff enough and reduce the leverage the current setup has.

Now, where's my Sawzall? LOL!

Any pics of your steering setup?
Old 04-30-2012, 11:57 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinistrV6
35WINDOW, I agree. The issue is having something to mount it to. Perhaps a simple C-channel upright with the rod end coming from the side. With a support arm welded from the upright to the motor mount, it would probably be stifff enough and reduce the leverage the current setup has.

Now, where's my Sawzall? LOL!

Any pics of your steering setup?

I wonder if you could mount it farther forward so that you wouldn't have to have something so tall-I made mine so that it bolts to the Frame rail, made an upright parallel to the Frame, and then gusseted it twice-

Sorry, I don't have any pictures right now, and I have the front end all apart for Paint & more powdercoating-
Old 04-30-2012, 12:18 PM
valve monkey

Last photo:

I would much prefer to have it shorter, but the u-joint at the top of the pic is a double-joint and needs support as close to the bearing as possible. I tried it with the support much lower and it wouldn't work. I may have to bite the bullet and put more joints in it to route it low along the frame rail.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:42 PM

Last photo:

Sounds like a plan-
Old 04-30-2012, 01:02 PM
valve monkey

Last photo:

Well, a quick call to Borgeson tech support confirmed that I should be able to do what's illustrated below. The yellow bungee cord is the desired routing of the steering shaft. I wish it didn't require a $150 double joint at the steering rack but that's the only way to clear the motor mount. The required double supports should be easy with that routing. We'll see....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Steering layout.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	317.0 KB
ID:	65062  
Old 04-30-2012, 08:25 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinistrV6
Well, a quick call to Borgeson tech support confirmed that I should be able to do what's illustrated below. The yellow bungee cord is the desired routing of the steering shaft. I wish it didn't require a $150 double joint at the steering rack but that's the only way to clear the motor mount. The required double supports should be easy with that routing. We'll see....
You are gonna like that a lot better. It is similar to how I ran mine in my 31. I was able to use single joints and mounted the support bearing on an l bracket off the frame. No binds.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.