steering vibration - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2005, 01:17 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

steering vibration

My '35 pickup has a mustang II front suspension with manual rack and pinion hooked to a '39 deluxe steering column and steering wheel. Borgeson u-joints connect it all. When I start down the road there is no vibration but when I reach speeds of 45 - 60 mph vibration occurs and the steering wheel jiggles. Not violently but it is significant. I can't find anything appearing to be loose in the suspension but the shocks need replacing, which I am doing this weekend. The truck tracks down the road just fine, no pulling to left or right. I have the older Torque Thrust D wheels on the front and rear and I've been told they can cause vibrations at times so I had them balanced but no change. Is it possible the shocks can cause vibration at only certain speeds? Any other suggestions?
Thanks,
Jim

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2005, 06:54 PM
ex biker, now hotrodder

try having the tires shaved, but you will need to rebalance
Old 06-07-2005, 12:09 AM

Last photo:

I'm with Steve. It looks like a tire/wheel issue. If you can try another set of tires/wheels for a test, or even swap front to rear if size isn't an issue. Any way get something else on there and see if the problem goes away. I'm betting it will. I had a similar issue with a car a while back, I checked, double checked and nothing I did helped. I put a different set of tires/wheels on it and it was fine. Turned out there was a very slight ripple in the sidewall of the front right tire. (belts coming apart) It was very hard to see unless you were looking hard but that was the problem.. Good Luck.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:54 AM
Come Home Safe Soldier

Last journal entry: Headers
Last photo:

Just as Pony mentioned,belts comong apart in a tire will cause the symptoms you describe.Also,if you loose you balance weights on your rims,you can have a shimmy.Ha d a truck come into work the other night with a bad shake in the front end,dumb driver buried his truck in some mud and did not tell anyone,ripped the front end apart and it was full of mud.You would see that on your Torque thrust rims though,but just an example of how extra weight or no weights on a balanced tire can throw everything off.Also,if your tires are dipping anywhere from being out of alignment they can get a shimmy in them.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.