Steering wheel cover - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2010, 01:53 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Steering wheel cover

I found THIS (likely from this board) and THIS YOUTUBE from a Cechaflo in Mexico.

I can see how to measure and punch the holes in the rim except for where you have to go around the spokes. Do you measure, cut and punch the holes after the wrap is partially installed?

In the Cechaflo video he stretches the leather about 2 inches around the outer diameter of the wheel. Is this enough since on my wheel the difference in circumference between the outer and inner rim is about 6 inches?

Is an awl what you should use to punch the holes? A punch would be nice especially if you are doing it with the wrap partly on the wheel.

Would you think 138 polyester thread would be OK? In one of the Cechaflo videos he coats it with beeswax. Is that necessary?

p.s. if you want to watch any of the Cechaflo I would do it soon because it looks like he is removing them and going to offer a video course. There are several on the different types of stitches.

Are there any other sources of info on this?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2010, 07:43 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

You need to cut clean holes with an arch punch or a good quality leather punch. An awl won't make a nice clean hole. Polyester 138 is not near thick enough for doing a steering wheel cover. Go to places like Tandy leather CLICK HERE to get a punch or for the correct lacing material.

LACING

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 02-04-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:21 PM

Is that [79 lb, 20 yard spool, Colored Sinew] what you would use?

THIS GUY says he uses 36 cotton thread. What in the world is that?

He also refers to a 107 leather glue. What is that? Is this all common knowledge stuff?
Old 02-05-2010, 06:46 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Just to preface my remarks, I am not an expert at steering wheel covers. I think they are speaking leathercrafting, and that is not anything I am familiar with. All I can tell you is that what is needed to thread a steering wheel cover is very heavy, and I don't know how to explain it in upholsteryspeak, other than to tell you it is not any size of regular sewing thread. You've seen (just like I have) many inexpensive steering wheel covers laced on with plastic lacing. You need to decide what you want to lace your steering wheel cover on with, and there are lots of options. It depends on what the steering wheel cover is made of, what look you are going for, and how much you want to spend.

Personally, If I was doing a leather cover, I would cut lacing from the same leather that the cover came from. I would cut it 1/4" wide to start with and see how it came out when stretched, because stretching it will make it shrink. That would make it all the same color, and all the same material. But that's my idea of how to do it, you may have different ideas of how it should look.

I looked at the link you provided, and the thread he uses seems to be way too fine. My thinking is that it would be easy to cut right through the leather with thread that fine. A bad spot in the leather could ruin an otherwise good cover by using thread that's that fine and pulling a little too tight. He also seems to be from some place other than the U.S., and their terminology is sure to be very different than ours as far as the size of thread he is using. These are just my observations, you can try anything you like.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 02-05-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:32 PM
Auto Interior Design

Last photo:

Steering wheel cover

Hello, I spent a great deal of time on this topic and may have some input. I agree with Dan's comments but would add that there is such a thread for this application and it is called wax thread. The dude in Mexico dipped his own but you can buy it at any hobby shop.

Although I have yet to do a steering wheel I have used this wax thread on other things (specifically motorcycle grab bars, my web has some photos). I also I looked at several factory leather steering wheel covers and they all seem to be the same wax thread. The only difference is the color is a perfect match from the factory.

As Dan said matching the color will be a challenge. I found wax thread in dark brown and tan. This thread definitely does the job but brown thread on a blue cover wouldn't look good. I like Dan's idea to cut strips of the same leather for the thread, but I might thing to shave it first then cut strips.

Now days I don't get to work with much leather since the leather like vinyls have improved so much. But I always want the steering wheel to match a custom interior so I am going to make a leather wheel cover for my 08 Sierra. It has a stock rubber type wheel. I plan on wrapping it with a layer of closed cell foam then wrapping it with leather.

I will let you know how I make out.

Al

Last edited by cummingscustom; 03-20-2010 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:40 AM

Last photo:

I've used that synthetic sinew for some heavy-strength thread, before. It's waxed, definitely will not stretch, but it comes off of the spool more flattish than round. This is easy to fix by just rolling the sinew in your hand/fingers to make it round and have at it. I know that there are more colors than just what they have listed in that link (I've got a spool of red, and have seen green and blue at a minimum), so it might be something else to look into.
Old 03-24-2010, 11:49 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

A local upholster had a great idea I thought, he would run the cover through the sewing machine without any thread to get evenly spaced holes. He said it worked great, and didn't have any problems with them coming apart. He said he hasn't done one for several years though.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:43 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

There are wheel punches for leatherworking that produce evenly spaced holes that are larger and cleaner cut than what a sewing machine could do, but that's a very interesting idea, even if you just use the needle holes as a guide to punch a little bit larger holes.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:45 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

after much research and talking to you dan i bought a new wheel for 142.00 . couldn't believe they were available.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.