steering wheel swings b&f violently it you touch it - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2010, 12:52 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

steering wheel swings b&f violently it you touch it

Started my rod for the first time today. It purred like a kitten. Man, what a rush that is. Then I thought I'd try the steering. As soon as I moved it a little it jerked out of my hands and started rocking back and forth violently. I quickly shut it off and started looking for the problem. Check fluid, empty. I had just topped it up but as I said this is the first time I had fired it up so I figured the fluid was pumped into the steering system so I toped it up again. Started it up again. Tried steering, same thing, steering wheel swings back and forth violently. shut it off and checked fluid again. This time it hadn't gone down. So now what do I do?
It's a new Ramjet 350 with the GM front accessory kit. It has the older GM canister pump. I had got a pump pressure reduction kit and installed it. It's a Mustang 2, IFS. The fluid I first put in was ATF fluid and then toped up the second time with PS fluid. All ideas where to look appreciated

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2010, 01:15 PM

Last photo:

Sounds like you have the presser line and return line reversed

OLDROD
Old 05-24-2010, 01:37 PM

Last photo:

OK I'll reverse them. If I remember correctly there was no instructions on witch went where. Thanks.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:53 PM

Last photo:

They would have to be in the hardest to access place on the car. So before I try and redo it, I have what I believe to be the pressure line ( its the biggest one with the heavy duty connector on the pump) going to the biggest hole ( the one that is closest to the splines shaft from the steering wheel). Is that backwards? I hope you can understand what I mean?
Old 05-24-2010, 02:14 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

If the lines are OK, be sure the belt tension is adaquate and that it is neither under or over filled.

Then bleed the system by jacking up the front wheels and go from lock to lock a dozen times (w/engine running) to purge the air from the system.

Don't hold the wheel against the internal stop, go slowly.

Last edited by cobalt327; 05-24-2010 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Add "w/engine running".
Old 05-24-2010, 02:19 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daoldbuick
They would have to be in the hardest to access place on the car. So before I try and redo it, I have what I believe to be the pressure line ( its the biggest one with the heavy duty connector on the pump) going to the biggest hole ( the one that is closest to the splines shaft from the steering wheel). Is that backwards? I hope you can understand what I mean?
Small line is presser big hole/line is return line they are easy to get reversed as they are not a lot different. I an a experienced man as my brother did mine and it did the same thing AND that was after I told him more then once.
Oh yes the presser line was to short as I was useing braided line don't stretch worth a flip.
OLDROD

Last edited by 39 OLDROD; 05-24-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:04 PM

Last photo:

Thanks oldrod. I guess I know what I'm going to be doing this week.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:27 PM

Last photo:

When that happens to an RX-7 rack, it's because the 2 lines that go from the valve section to the piston section are reversed...it's applying assist to the wrong side of the piston.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.