Hot Rod Forum banner

Stick Shift Drag Racing

13K views 53 replies 12 participants last post by  mr4speed 
#1 ·
In today's drag racing scene, it's rare to see a stick shift car at the strip. Last time I brought my car to the local track I was the only stick car there. Recently went as an observer, everything was electronics and automatics. I just love the nostalgia of seeing and hearing some high winding stickshift cars. I can't get enough of this, enjoy;
BangShift.com The Parting Shift

#32 ·
I think folks are just talking past each other here. I don't think anybody is saying that it isn't more difficult to be consistent with a stick car. But the answer the original question "why don't I see stick cars on the 1/4 anymore?" has been answered. Atx is faster any way you slice it.

It's not because in 2015 people are stupid and can't drive cars with manual transmissions anymore. Its because if you're putting money into a car to make the best times you can you're not going to sacrifice when the atx is faster. That's like asking "why do I keep seeing guys using nitrous on the strip?" Because they want to go fast. And it's faster than not using it.

K

#33 ·
I think folks are just talking past each other here. I don't think anybody is saying that it isn't more difficult to be consistent with a stick car. But the answer the original question "why don't I see stick cars on the 1/4 anymore?" has been answered. Atx is faster any way you slice it.

K
Not the real reason, please don't kid yourself. Lets go to the furthest extreme (slowest). Take a chevette with a 4 banger, one has a stick and one an auto. You really believe that the auto would be faster,not a chance. Your theory holds no water.

#38 ·
And that is why for generating my 1/4 mile times using the G-Tech, it is a 2~4 second romp in 2nd gear to peak hp rpm (as the G-Tech manual suggests). If the road surface offers good bite, then the 9.7's are very repeatable.

Before any hard case says "That is removing both driver skill and the ability to hook and book from a standstill" I only want a consistent test method to evaluate changes I've done to the car.

#44 ·
HP from a rolling start on a light car is a big difference then HP from a dead stop in a light car... Easier to put the HP to the road from a roll...:mwink: You don't get to take off at the track from a roll...:D

She does sound good...

#45 ·
But I did hook up from a stand still at the tree for a 10.8 with an engine that wasn't as easy to launch as my current 427. The hp makes the difference with that amount of pull your still getting north of 100 mph.

I can hook and book easier with the 427, and once traction is no longer an issue, the greater hp keeps you charging.

I'm not saying my skill level can turn a 9.7 on my DOT legal tires, but the car is capable of it on street tires. With slicks I'm certain that I could from a standstill. But even with a less than perfect launch on street tires, it would still be in the high 9's.

If you forgot the stages of my ride, here is a recap,

355 produced 386 hp fed to a Muncie 4 speed for a 10.8 on both a track and G-Tech.

383 produced 320 hp fed to a Tremec TKO 600 for a 11.3 on G-Tech. The Muncie wasn't designed for the torque the 383 was producing, 516 lb/ft

The current 427 produces 526 hp @ 5700. 9.7 on the G-Tech.

I have no interest in upping the ante any further than this.

#46 ·
I was trying to be nice

I think your car would go like stink. It's gotta be a handfull to drive. Do an entertaining video, I'll watch it twice. I'm going to try to do one in the Spring, I likes me some high winding stick shift.( Cajun talk) Lighten up.
Thats what the thread was about.
Nolan

#51 ·
I think your car would go like stink. It's gotta be a handfull to drive. Do an entertaining video, I'll watch it twice. I'm going to try to do one in the Spring, I likes me some high winding stick shift.( Cajun talk) Lighten up.
Thats what the thread was about.
Nolan
Nolan,

Of all the hot rods I've had over the years, the Track-T is the most docile to drive, its street manners are that good. When I would get loose in my blown 427 '55 Ford, it was back off enough to regain traction, steering correction, counter with more steering, well basically your hands are full. In the T, again just back off enough to regain traction and then only one steering correction and its straight and ready to romp again. Low mass is sweet.

I have a rant against my fellow T-bucket owners here http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/my-rant-t-bucket-owners-348153.html#post2848001 that explains a lot about how most Ts are set up.

#52 ·
Yup,, good racing!!

But,, The parts breakage is what got to me.. Even this guy got eleven runs on a modern, expensive, ring and pinion. I shelled out so many 60-70's r&p's, axles, clutches and trans,, I just got sick of towing all night, laying under the car thrashing between rounds and smelling like gear oil..:spank:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.