Hot Rod Forum banner

Stick shift question

912 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  AutoGear 
#1 ·
OK. More questions. My project car is a 2" x 3" tube chassis with a sbc 350 crate motor with a narrowed 9" Ford triangulated 4 bar with 4:11 gears. Currently, I have a 700R4 bolted to it but would like to put a 5 speed in it. My automotive background was VW/Porsche/Audi mechanic. I have hooked up a hydraulic clutch assembly into a VW Bug that I put a Porsche engine into some years ago. My question is, I would like to put a stick transmission into my project car, by the way, that has a VW Squareback body on it. In addition to bellhousing, clutch assembly, flywheel, etc. what would be the best way for me to hook up my linkage for it? I need all the help I can get. I figured that with my engine/rear end assebbly with a stick, it ought to be a lot of fun being this will be only about a 2500 pound car when finished. Wheelbase is 95"

#5 ·
well dang, the engines in the front LOL
The 'RACING' HTOBs (Hydraulic Throw Out Brg) have a bit of a checkered past. They just don't seem robust enough to live as long as a street car guy would like. There was a post on HR.com about a McLeod brand one that failed several times, in a van...and was an absolute clown show for the poor OP. Apparently McLeod has rectified the design.

I do like the design that Novak has:
https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/clutch/kit-hcr3/kit-hcrc/

But I don't know if it will work for you or not.

Now; other guys who are roundy rounders have a LOT of experience in these, some designs are very critical about you having a pedal stop to prevent overtravel and blowing out the seals on the HTOB, ask your manufacturer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.