Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Stick welder - power supply
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2004, 07:32 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

OK here it is now

I had to go to W A L M A R T .. to get 1/16 rods ... increible ... Home Depot's smallest ones are .. 3/32 ... and Tool Depot had .. F O U R packs of welding rods

OK OK OK .. anyway... tried it with 1/16 rods ... i still have to be quite careful with the rod not sticking to the metal .. but once i drag it a little bit and get an initial spark ... if i manage to keep the rod at the perfect distance from the metal .. yeah i can weld

Of course if the rod sticks .. and i let it sit... yeah... kaboom there goes the power again

Now... 3/32 rod hmmmmm still no luck really with that one ....

But to this equation you guys also have to add this ... I'm new to this .. and stick welding is not the easiest of all welding processes

The closest I did to stick welding before .. was to try a Naval cutting unit ... where ya have a rod .. ya strike the arc ... the arc stays on .. all time ... and the rod burns faster when it doesn't touch the metal ... and anyway... it goes through inches of steel in a second or so