Sticker shock...again! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2006, 05:13 AM
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Sticker shock...again!

Ok, since I have been buying painting supplies for my 34 project I have come to be conditioned to the outrageous prices at my local PPG jobber. Yesterday after work I go over to buy another gallon of K36 with a quart ofK201 activator, and a gallon of DX330. $241.00 was the bill. This stuff goes up every time I go in for more supplies. Yes, I know I am paying for the name, but I am not willing to switch brands this far into the project so please don't suggest it. I'm just venting a little .

Vince

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2006, 05:47 AM

Last photo:

Vince, What does the total PPG materials bill total at this stage of the game? If you think that K36 is pricey check out what their D8000 series Global Chromatic primers sell for $$$$ Good stuff but pricey. Bob
Old 04-12-2006, 05:48 AM
point on positive

Last photo:

Politic$
Heres a bit on whats up with the cost thing... ...

It's like everything else where it looks one way but really is another...

interesting read... save your reciepts
http://www.abrn.com/abrn/article/art....jsp?id=129279
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	painttown1.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	11543  
Old 04-12-2006, 06:07 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

sucks dont it vince. stared in that movie myself. i switched to matrix because of ppg's prices. same paint or rather made by one of their chemist i'm told. performs the same and is compatable with ppg. i'm using it on the 62 vette i'm doing. way less money !! the 57 vette is going to be spi. i usualy dont complain about material cost but in the last year it has gotten out of control.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:13 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddbob
Vince, What does the total PPG materials bill total at this stage of the game? Bob
Don't have a final figure yet, but here is some of the costs.

3 gallons K36 with K201 activator $630
3 gallons of DT885 reducer $90
2 gallons MX241 polyester primer $108
1 gallon (more to come) DBC paint $394
1 gallon DCU2002 (more to come) clear $170
1 quart DCX61 activator for clear $70
A whole gaggle of various polyester fillers, fiberglass cloth and resin $?

I estimate when the paint job if finally color sanded and buffed the cost will be between $2500 and $3000.

A fiend of mine has his 34 Plymouth in the shop right now for a paint job and he has spent way more than that and they have yet to apply any color.

I keep telling myself (and my wife) that I am saving money doing it myself, but the real justification is I get it done to the level I want it done .

May sound like I'm complaining, not really cause I have learned tremendously from this project and the great people on this forum. It's all been worth it IMO .

Vince
Old 04-12-2006, 06:18 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo
Politic$
Heres a bit on whats up with the cost thing... ...

It's like everything else where it looks one way but really is another...

interesting read... save your reciepts
http://www.abrn.com/abrn/article/art....jsp?id=129279
Thanks Milo, great article, but typical outcome of lawsuits. The lawyers get fat rich and dole out pennies to the people who have been taken advantage of.

Vince
Old 04-12-2006, 07:28 AM
X711

Last photo:

Vince those prices are ridiculous.

By way of a suggestion.

Next time around, go with Valspar for the paint, AutobodyBrands for the reducer, primer, Clear etc.

><
Old 04-12-2006, 08:12 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,165 Times in 1,027 Posts
Vince, once you have a primer laid down there is no reason to stay with PPG. There are no "compatibility" issues unless you are actually mixing products. Sure, it is "best" to stick with one manufacturer for the simply reason you can follow the recommendations from step to step. But at this point when you have primer down, and it is cured, just switch to another brand and you will have no problems concerning it.

I have always been a big believer in the top end lines. But with the prices getting so high and all the compitition from the new "value" companies coming along there is damn good reason to be using some of them.

Brian
Old 04-12-2006, 03:29 PM

Last photo:

I still like ppg, but they can flip off with there prices. I still use dbc base quite a bit if a need a good color match or someone is willing to spring for it, but other then that, I use marhyde primer, alot like the k36 but I actually like it better, and have used a variety of lower priced clears that ain't bad, I really don't notice much difference between the lower priced clears I've used, and they all seemed to spray and look pretty decent. Too bad you couldn't fast forward 10 years in time and compare all of them side by side and see which one held up the best.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:08 PM

Last photo:

I have been using primarily PPG color and clear on my best work, I also use some Dupont, and Akzo Nobel. But since I've tried some of SPI's products I will be making some changes soon. SPI products work to dam good to continue paying what the top dogs want. My goal is to burn up my old stock within the next month and switch over. I'll still be relying on the local stores for most of my color but no more primer and clear. I have no complaints on the support I've recieved from PPG and the quality of their products but I just can't see paying these prices anymore.

Some of the ridiculous primer prices aren't really that hard to take for a collision shop, collision work usually doesn't burn up a whole lot of primer compared to restoration and custom work where a complete vehicle gets blocked again and again and again. It just doesn't make sense to pay over $200 for a gallon of primer when you can get the same performance from another product that costs way less than half. I know I've swept up $400 in sanding dust during the course of one restoration. Bob
Old 04-13-2006, 10:03 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Bob is right on there. It is one thing for a collision shop to use 6 or 8 ounces of $200+/gal primer on a $3000+ repair job. It is something else for the average person working at home or even in a restoration shop, spending $500+ for primer that will end up in dust on the floor for one job.

I do love the savings using the SPI products. I do still feel bad when I have to sweep up the dust off the floor. Still see dollar signs, but they aren't any where near as bad.

Aaron
Old 04-14-2006, 06:51 AM

high prices

I was a bit shocked with a $168 bill for a gallon of nason fullthane(plus catalyst and activator/reducer). Was told that the red pigment in the paint was real expensive. Sure hope a gallon is enough.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:21 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by acsteve
I was a bit shocked with a $168 bill for a gallon of nason fullthane(plus catalyst and activator/reducer). Was told that the red pigment in the paint was real expensive. Sure hope a gallon is enough.
I wish my paint was just $168 a gallon. Here is the mix ratios for a gallon of PPG Deltron DBC in the Chrysler color I am using.

color: Deep molten red pearl clearcoat
code: DBC5683 K

That K means $$$$

Vince

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.