stiff leaf springs?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2011, 01:31 PM

Last journal entry: rigor-mortis of the suspension.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

stiff leaf springs??

My truck is a 2000 s10. I'm trying to find out how I can stiffen the suspension all around so that the truck doesn't handle that much worse on the street, and can launch pretty good off the line. Basically.... I'm new at this and have no idea what I can do as far as stock style suspension to make it stiffer. Coilovers... 4-links... I would but I have a budget that's not all too big as of now. Any ideas... lemme know.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2011, 09:02 PM

Last wiki edit: Suspension: designs, shapes, sizes Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

If you are not doing a lot of hauling this is what I did to my 90 S-10 to improve ride and cornering (and appearance).

Cut a coil to a coil and a quarter off the front springs to lower it. That helps looks and handling with a lower c/g and increasing the front spring rate.

Take second leaf below the main leaf off the rear spring to soften the rear end for increased traction on acceleration and to lower the rear a bit. Install lowering blocks to get the rear where you want it in relation to the lowered front end. It will ride better too!

Put a fabricated clamp around all the leafs of the rear spring forward of the axle. Leave them loose rear of the axle. That helps with wheel hop. Kinda like cheap traction bars.

Align the front end to get 1/2 to 3/4 degree negative camber, and set caster at about 2 1/2 degrees positive. That will help handling quite a bit.

All cheap fixes and you will be happy with the results. To go to the next step, install poly anti-roll bar bushings on the front.

Then put on the best tires you can afford...

Have fun,

Andy
Old 08-05-2011, 09:39 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil red s10
My truck is a 2000 s10. I'm trying to find out how I can stiffen the suspension all around so that the truck doesn't handle that much worse on the street, and can launch pretty good off the line. Basically.... I'm new at this and have no idea what I can do as far as stock style suspension to make it stiffer. Coilovers... 4-links... I would but I have a budget that's not all too big as of now. Any ideas... lemme know.
If "launch" is your concern... My '96 is down to just the 2 upper leafs and a set of Cal-trac bars in the rear and 2" drop spindles in the front. I get easy 1.60 60ft times on street pavement with no change in the ride. I would not, however, want to carry much of a load...

Russ
Old 08-05-2011, 12:28 PM

Last photo:

I don't want to do the spring cutting. I can see how it'll lower the vehicle and make it "look better, but as far making the spring stiffer.... I don't see an added spring rate. Id rather not do hacks or cheap jobs on suspension or transmission at all. Motor wise... id take the cheapest good parts I can get. Cal-trac or just traction bars id like to get my hands on.

I hear of shops that give you whatever spring rate you want... but I have no idea on how to calculate what I need for what I want.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:29 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10xGN
If "launch" is your concern... My '96 is down to just the 2 upper leafs and a set of Cal-trac bars in the rear and 2" drop spindles in the front. I get easy 1.60 60ft times on street pavement with no change in the ride. I would not, however, want to carry much of a load...

Russ

The truck was bought "just to move my bike" which is a lil under 400 lbs wet. As long as it can still haul it when and if I have to... ill be fine.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:57 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Cutting the coilsprings will actually make them stiffer. It changes the rate and what not.

For the rear, just get stiffer leaf springs. It will lift the truck slightly so just use shakles and/or lift/lowering blocks to bring it back down. Iirc this truck has an underspung rear axle.

Last edited by bigdog7373; 08-05-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:34 AM
Gotta love a turbo!

Last journal entry: Body on Frame today.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil red s10
The truck was bought "just to move my bike" which is a lil under 400 lbs wet. As long as it can still haul it when and if I have to... ill be fine.
That wouldn't be a problem at all. I also have a 150# 'glass bed cover on it and I (240#) can sit on the tailgate and the back end might drop an inch at most. You should read up on the Cal-Trac system, he recommends very light springs for maximum effect. Most tend to want to go with stiffer springs, but that's counterproductive with the Cal-Tracs...

Russ
Old 08-07-2011, 08:16 AM

Last photo:

i just dont see how cutting springs will make the metal stronger... i have heard of people oil dipping them after heating them up... and i hear that makes them stronger... but i dont see the springs getting stiffer because they were cut. wouldn't that put businesses such as Tokico, Skunk2, and QA1 out of business?? i'd chop all my springs.

as far as the cal-trac, i'll read up on them... maybe the compression of the spring causes them to press harder on the frame planting the rear down harder... but i wouldn't wanna go too soft...
Old 08-07-2011, 08:22 AM

Last photo:

nvm... i guess spring rate is increased.. problem is.. dampening rate is the same... because spring rate is measured by inch and the shorter spring need a little more to compress that inch... but the car will still bounce up and down the highways.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.