still gettin hot - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2006, 09:35 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

still gettin hot

i have a 92 chevy pickup 350 040. big cam 4 barrel about 11to 1 comp i have a brand new aluminum radiator water pump flex fan no thermostat.
i had a 160 thermstat and electric fan and it was getting hot around town but on the highway it would run cool so i took the thermostat out and still did it so i put a flex fan on it still does it any help

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2006, 09:42 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

CLUE # 1 = It gets hot going slow but is OK on the road...

Lack of airflow.

Factory type fan clutch and 7 blade fan,
well designed and installed shroud,
seal all the shroud and grille areas so that hot air can not be recirculated back to the front of the radiator when stopped or going slow.

Be sure water pump is overdriven about 15-20%
Old 04-14-2006, 09:48 PM

i dont have a shroud what the easiest way to make one
Old 04-15-2006, 12:24 AM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtim
i dont have a shroud what the easiest way to make one

Watch out for those flex fans. Most are poor air movers. Look for the stainless ones like from Imperial, etc. with lots of pitch on the 6 blades. Factory type fan clutch is superior.

Shroud = see if a factory type will fit or can be adapted to your radiator. You want it to cover all of the core for maximum air flow coverage. This is far superior and a whole lot less trouble than trying to make one. The metal ones offered by performance parts places are usually a joke for efficiency.

If you need to guess about fit, try to pick one up at the junk yard for $ 10 and see how it fits, then buy a new one for $ 50 and adapt it as necessary. A whole lot less hassle than complete fabrication from metal etc. I made little stainless steel strips and stainless bolts to hold the shroud on to mine.

Make sure the flex fan face is about 1/2 inch maximum inside the shroud. (1 inch for fan clutch type fans) Not too deep inside the shroud or the air from the blade tips will be blown back forward and just keep recirculating the air. Make sure the fan is about 3/4 inch from the blade tips to the shroud.

If your fan/shroud is doing well, you should be able to easily feel lots of airflow with your hand 12 inches in front of the radiator when the engine is idling.

Again, don't forget to seal the area below the radiator to the bottom of the bumper and from the top of the core support to the hood and all around the sides of the radiator to prevent hot air from recirculating back into the front of the radiator.

Check that water pump drive ratio, pump smaller pulley than the crankshaft. You are not only spinning the pump faster but the fan also. Give up 5 hp to keep it cool. What good is more power if it gets hot?

In 45 years I have never built a car with a cooling problem, and I have fixed a bunch of them.

Most people try to cure low airflow with a bigger radiator, and a poor radiator with more airflow...... (electric fans rarely work well = unless you get a $400 fan off a Lincoln Mark 8)

Good Luck. Let me know how it turns out.

Last edited by xntrik; 04-15-2006 at 12:32 AM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.