Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   stock 2 barrel carb and pistons good for a 350 sbc build? (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/stock-2-barrel-carb-pistons-good-350-sbc-build-227226.html)

Jkingof956 12-16-2012 10:39 AM

stock 2 barrel carb and pistons good for a 350 sbc build?
 
i just got a 74 chevelle all original 350, i decided to go with stock pistons vortec heads, performer rpm intake, and summit 1103 cam, for right now car will be just a cruiser i will later on install headers, performance th350, roller tip rockers, and posi and so on,

question is: will the stock pistons and stock 2 barrel carb work well with this setup???

cdminter59 12-16-2012 10:48 AM

stock 2 barrel carb and pistons good for a 350 sbc build?
 
The only thing I see you will have to buy an adapter for the Performer RPM Intake to the two barrel carburetor unless you have the stock two barrel intake.

Jkingof956 12-16-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdminter59 (Post 1623398)
The only thing I see you will have to buy an adapter for the Performer RPM Intake to the two barrel carburetor unless you have the stock two barrel intake.

sorry i forgot to say that i already have an adapter plate, will it perform good even though is just a 2 barrel carb feeding vortec heads with stock pistons and cam?

vinniekq2 12-16-2012 10:58 AM

horse power is determined by air flow.The car will run fine with a one barrel.Small amount of air = small amount of power(and RPM).
If the pistons are good and fit well then use them. you can check deck height when you test assemble.Is this a super cheapo build?

Jkingof956 12-16-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinniekq2 (Post 1623408)
horse power is determined by air flow.The car will run fine with a one barrel.Small amount of air = small amount of power(and RPM).
If the pistons are good and fit well then use them. you can check deck height when you test assemble.Is this a super cheapo build?

yes it is since its one of my daily drivers i just want a lil more than stock 140hp this 350 has lol and at the same time trying to stay stock looking, and because i have 3 more projects that am working on, i mean i have a 600cfm and 750carb laying around but if the 2 barrel works runs and pulls good i will use it

vinniekq2 12-16-2012 11:12 AM

Put the 600 on it, use a stock air cleaner for a 4 bbl.the heads flow well and the little cam would both benefit from the 600. The 2 bbl would likely stop the engine from making more than 200 hp,depends on the flow

Jkingof956 12-16-2012 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinniekq2 (Post 1623416)
Put the 600 on it, use a stock air cleaner for a 4 bbl.the heads flow well and the little cam would both benefit from the 600. The 2 bbl would likely stop the engine from making more than 200 hp,depends on the flow

oh ok i see, i was trying to get close to atleast 300 horses without headers and using the 2 barrel carb but if the carb is the the one stopping the engine from doing so i will use a bigger carb
also i would like to dip in the 13 sec quarter mile when am finish with all the rest of the mods

gearheadslife 12-16-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdminter59 (Post 1623398)
The only thing I see you will have to buy an adapter for the Performer RPM Intake to the two barrel carburetor unless you have the stock two barrel intake.

you'll need a vortec intake... you didn't say if your perfomer was or not.
I'd get a vac 2nd 4 barrel..
my c-10 came with a 2barrel on a 4barrel intake and it runs, but is a pig.. fuel mpg blows, mine was a 2barrel holley..

vinniekq2 12-16-2012 11:30 AM

what does the car weigh? lets figure how much power you need to go 13s? include gear ratio/trans mission type.A 13 second car is no slouch. Headers and exhaust are the single most important part to match,,,

Jkingof956 12-16-2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gearheadslife (Post 1623427)
you'll need a vortec intake... you didn't say if your perfomer was or not.
I'd get a vac 2nd 4 barrel..
my c-10 came with a 2barrel on a 4barrel intake and it runs, but is a pig.. fuel mpg blows, mine was a 2barrel holley..

yes it is a vortec style intake forgot to mention it, my c10 came with a 4 barrel carb which right now has a 600 and its still a pig lol 280 cam,no headers, low gears, high stall, one legger (upgrading to posi 373)

Jkingof956 12-16-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinniekq2 (Post 1623433)
what does the car weigh? lets figure how much power you need to go 13s? include gear ratio/trans mission type.A 13 second car is no slouch. Headers and exhaust are the single most important part to match,,,

in vehicle tittle car weights 3,900lbs (dont know if thats the whole car weight)

car is not posi with 355 stock gears
transmission will be either the stock th350 or a fully build th350
exhaust will be 1 5/8 long tube headers stock pipe with thrush welded muffler

also vortec heads got a little touch on exhaust runners

vinniekq2 12-16-2012 11:56 AM

I sure hope it doesnt weigh 3900 pounds?If the car weighs 4,000 pounds with you in it and fuel,you might break into the high 13s if the engine makes 350 HP?
320 HP would be about the same times if the car is 3700 pounds total with driver. The 3.55 gear set will work well though ,if you dont add posi you will melt one tire until the spider gears escape. 2,000 stall speed would work well. Tires will need to be good quality.

Jkingof956 12-16-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinniekq2 (Post 1623452)
I sure hope it doesnt weigh 3900 pounds?If the car weighs 4,000 pounds with you in it and fuel,you might break into the high 13s if the engine makes 350 HP?
320 HP would be about the same times if the car is 3700 pounds total with driver. The 3.55 gear set will work well though ,if you dont add posi you will melt one tire until the spider gears escape. 2,000 stall speed would work well. Tires will need to be good quality.

will this build be enough to make close to the 350hp? any opinions?
also have a 2,000 hughs stall laying around and a dacco 3,000 but am going with the 2000 stall for the small cam

ap72 12-16-2012 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jkingof956 (Post 1623465)
will this build be enough to make close to the 350hp? any opinions?
also have a 2,000 hughs stall laying around and a dacco 3,000 but am going with the 2000 stall for the small cam

On a super cheap build with vortec head and that mild cam with a 2bbl carb and stock exhaust manifolds I would expect around 275ish hp. Headers and a good exhaust will bump you a little over 300hp.

If it's just a cruiser and it works well I'd keep the 2bbl. Just make sure its properly tuned for your combo- a purely stock carb will not be tuned right.

vinniekq2 12-16-2012 12:36 PM

I see the engine as being in the ball park for the power you want.Lets see if Techinspecter can match the cam and see if thats the correct stick. I would like to make sure it pulls hard to 5500 rpm


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.