Hot Rod Forum banner

Stock 36 ford handles and Bear Claws?

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Metal Twister 
#1 ·
Typo error in title! The car is a 1939 ford four door... Sorry guys

Ive installed many bear claw latches, but usually to the solenoid operated system. Now I have a 39 ford four door that needs to keep the exterior handles while adding bear claws. I have a couple issues I need help with. Has anyone mounted bear claws in the stock location for the latch? And if so, what kind of mechanism was used to link the handles to the latch? There just isn't much room for fabrication? Any experienced advice would be appreciated.

#4 ·
Metal Twister,

I am not sure your Door thickness is the same as my '35, but I have installed Power Bear Claw latches with my original Handles. I bought the kit that Kruisin' Karl suggested and they would not fit-the "boxes" would bottom out before the Handle hole would line up (hope that makes sense)-

I used the Slimline Latches from Rocky Hinge-like these, but Slimline:

http://rockyhin.ipower.com/store/product17.html

then I bought these and cut off one ear, made some Blisters and mounted them on the inside where the Handles Mount:

http://rockyhin.ipower.com/store/product38.html

I used the outside handle kit because I wanted the Handles to return to center after you opened the Door. I then bought some 1/4" rod, heated and bent it, threaded it and used Rod Ends on both ends for linkage-turned out great but it will take a little bit of engineering. I wanted to use the stock inside handles so I cut off the ends and made some threaded Rods for adjustment.

It appears that they have recently updated their website, the Slimline Latches are not listed-give them a call, they are really nice Folks and will be glad to help.

I hope this helps-

#6 ·
Maybe you can take some pics of the job? I'd really like to see how it turns out.

I was doing some heavy research, basically trying for the same result as your customer, but I wanted to be able to lock and unlock the doors with a keyless remote (no poppers) then open the door with the handle. Pretty much the same as a modern vehicle.

The spring loaded one that returns looks like it'll work, but seemed a little bit flimsy to me.

I did find an article, think it was in a magazine, where they had the same type of handle "holder" custom made. Have to see if I can find that one.

Anyway, good luck, let us know how you make out, and remember.... Pictures! :D

#7 ·
:sweat:
Kruzin Karl said:
Maybe you can take some pics of the job? I'd really like to see how it turns out.

I was doing some heavy research, basically trying for the same result as your customer, but I wanted to be able to lock and unlock the doors with a keyless remote (no poppers) then open the door with the handle. Pretty much the same as a modern vehicle.

The spring loaded one that returns looks like it'll work, but seemed a little bit flimsy to me.

I did find an article, think it was in a magazine, where they had the same type of handle "holder" custom made. Have to see if I can find that one.

Anyway, good luck, let us know how you make out, and remember.... Pictures! :D

I will post the pics as soon as I get to that point. I just installed the stang II kit, and still have the rear end, motor, trans, air conditioner,,, before I get to the bear claws. Oh, did I mention I also have to move my shop next week. LOL Give me a few weeks. Thanks again, Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.