Hot Rod Forum banner

stock 40

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Deuce 
#1 ·
hi guys, i have a stock 40 ford,an know nothing about gear ratio are rear ends, i'de like to make some long distance rod runs , but the stock rear is geard to low. shouild i change rearends or just the gears ,i'de like to cruse about 65, an still not lose any power in town driving.i'm on a tight buget so a colombian is out.just whats involved in changing rearends,i.e.u=joints, springs,ect. any help will be appreciated.

#2 ·
The problem is, your stock 40 rear uses an enclosed drive shaft. If you go to another rear you will also have to change transmission. Thats 1 of the reasons I changed my complete drive train years ago. If you want to keep the flathead, you can use a newer ford trans even a c-4 auto with adaptors. If you can weld and fabricate, you can go to parallel springs or build brackets and use your original spring with an 8" or 9" ford rear. You could check Hemmings for a different gear set. I don't know whats available. I still have a couple 40 rearends, but think their both 411s, thats probably what you have now. Sorry,I don't have a better answer, if I can be of more help, let me know.
Jack

#3 ·
That '40 Ford rearend is probably a 3.78 : 1 ratio...9 teeth on the pinion gear and 34 teeth on the ring gear. Those numbers are usually stamped on the underside of the banjo. Ford did have a 3.54 : 1 gearset that would be a better highway gear but it won't be easy to find. If you do acquire one, make sure you get the banjo with it. That way all you have to do is switch the banjo/center section.

#4 ·
thanks for the replys, i heard from a fellow who said he though he heard that someone made gears for a stock 40 rearend but he didn't remember who . maybe speedway motors. an he didn't know how they worked. have any of you had experienc with this, thanks

#7 ·

Speedway has the 3.25

I have a 3.78 in my old beater 40 coupe and with a tall tire it is not too bad. Mine rear tires are 30" tall.

70 mph X 3.78 =264.6 X 336 = 88905.6 Divided by 30 = 2963.

A 3.25 would be 2548 @ 70 mph.
A 3.54 would be 2775 @ 70 mph

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

#10 ·
Originally posted by WoodsEdge:
<strong>Dang Deuce, that picture could be me, I've had my 40 since 57.
Jack :D </strong><hr></blockquote>

It is not mine. My is a standard. Old family photo of my uncle's deluxe coupe.

This one is mine.

[ January 02, 2003: Message edited by: Deuce Roadster ]</p>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.