stock 454+blower=???? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2012, 06:19 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

stock 454+blower=????

Hey I have a gen IV 454 from an 88 chevy one ton that i plan to put in my 56 chevy and I've run accross a 6-71 roots blower that I'm really wantin to put on and the guy I bought it from does a lot of drag racing and such and says that the stock internals (crank, rods, pistons, etc) would handle the blower as long as i dont crank the boost up a whole lot. Is this right? if so, what pulleys should i run (how many teeth? etc) i plan to put a small cam in to give it a little lope n am runnin on a fairly low cost build, any help here is greatly appreciated as I'm new to the supercharger world lol

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 07:05 PM

Last photo:

3 tp 5 lbs boost bds has a chart for pulleys and boost estimate it will work just listen to the blower guys on here who run on the street.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:09 PM

Ok awesome, thanks for the help
Old 02-27-2012, 07:57 PM
US Navy-Retired

Last photo:

There is a lot more involved than just bolting it on.

Do you have two or four bolt mains?

Going to have to convert to a short water pump, alternator will go to the driver side, convert to a type 2 PS pump, limitation on space may require electric fans, increase fuel supply, to name a few.

Really should tear into the engine and do it right the first time.

Last edited by NOlowrider; 02-27-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:19 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

You won't get the lope your looking for with a blower, it calms the idle a lot. I have a custom Lunati solid roller grind with an 8-71 SBC, lots of lift and duration, and no serious lope. Blower cams like a wide lsa, in the 112 - 114 range.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 02-27-2012, 09:31 PM

i knew there was more to it than just bolting it on, I've been a mechanic for about 8 years now, I just never supercharged anything lol electric fans no prob was gonna do that and an electric fuel pump anyways, and power steering isn't much to worry about, I figured I'd leave it off since the car didn't have it from the factory. As far as 2 or 4 bolt mains I'm not really sure, I haven't had the time to tear into the engine yet, but it is going to get a full blown build before i put it in the car, I'm kinda waitin to see how much I'm gonna be in for here on the blower lol and I'm not wantin an all out sounds like it damn near died lope, just enough to tickle some toes lol
Old 02-27-2012, 10:32 PM
US Navy-Retired

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer_joe
i knew there was more to it than just bolting it on, I've been a mechanic for about 8 years now
I didn't mean to sound rude, hope you didn't take it that way. Sorry.

I would go with a good set of forged blower pistons, forged crank with a double keyway. If it is a two bolt, I would go with studs. Determine if you want to run a crank hub or balancer. That will determine the blower snout length that you will need. If it is a Weiand intake, they are offset to the rear 1", so you will have to account for that. Just trying to help. All this stuff is still fresh, it wasn't too long ago that I built mine.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:58 PM

Its all good man I know you weren't meaning it that way lol n ok cool I'll check into all the parts n get some stuff on the way, I'm not sure what intake I'll be using yet, its a BDS blower and I kinda figured from what I've seen and putting 2 and 2 together that as long as it's a 6-71 intake most of the stuff is pretty interchangeable between brands. Could be wrong though wouldn't be the first time. I have the blower I just gotta hunt down an intake a snout and the belt drive system and it'll be ready to go on once i get the rest of the motor situated to handle it
Old 02-27-2012, 11:12 PM
US Navy-Retired

Last photo:

Sent you a PM.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:46 AM

Last journal entry: new pictures of T-bucket
Last photo:

I have been putting gmc blowers on stock chevy engines for 30 years.You will have no problems if you dont push it too hard.I currently have a stock rebuilt(by me) 350 with a 6-71 blower in my 39 chevy coupe.I am running it underdriven and run it on regular pump gas.I am building a 24 T-bucket right now with a stock Targetmaster 350 and a 4-71 blower set up at crank speed.I have put many street miles on this set-up,even pulling a pop-up camper for long road trips. Wer'e not talking Pro-Mod racing here,if you drive sensibly you will get lots of fun with this setup. get it on the road and enjoy it!!!
Old 02-28-2012, 11:00 AM
US Navy-Retired

Last photo:

Sure you can put the blower on a stock engine. However, boost is very addicting. I like having the peace of mind that when I romp on it that it is not going to come apart under my feet. I think you could get away with 3 lbs of boost, a tad more on occassion with a stock motor but I would go any more than that. There are a few things that you can do on a budget to add more secuity, and some things that you can get by without doing. With a stock crank I would atleast stud it. The double key you could probably do without (if you keep your foot out of it). I wouldn't skimp on the carbs though. Lean conditions on a blower motor equals a time bomb. Don't run the belt too tight, especially on a stock crank. Will snap that sucker off (and the blower snout)

Just my thoughts. Just trying to help. Blower are a lot of fun, I love driving mine. Gas mileage sucks though. BTW, I am in no way claiming to be an expert. There are PLENTY of great blower guys here (you know who you are).
Old 02-28-2012, 11:08 AM

Last photo:

This is my experience...My friend has a 35 foot cigarette style boat with two supercharged 454's. Engines were build by a shop,Mercury Marine blocks,Merlin heads,roller cam etc.GMC style blowers running about 8 psi,dynoed at 610-620 HP each at 5000 rpm. One of the engine got into detonations issues ruining several pistons and the block.........
So he finds a few 454 short blocks used as a standby generator.They have two bolt mains and cast crank with 8-1 forged pistons.
Me and him re ring,new bearings,bolt on the Merlin heads,roller cam and GMC blower set up.Put on different pulleys to lower boost to about 6 psi.Figured this engine makes 550 hp at 5000 rpm and ran about as good as the pro built engine still in the boat.
This home built engine lasted about 50 hours use,and if you know boats in Great Lakes they can run wide open for as long as you want.Far more severe use than a car engine never being run wide open for more than 12 seconds.The engine never blew but got a lot of blow by from failed rings.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:17 AM

Last journal entry: new pictures of T-bucket
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOlowrider
Sure you can put the blower on a stock engine. However, boost is very addicting. I like having the peace of mind that when I romp on it that it is not going to come apart under my feet. I think you could get away with 3 lbs of boost, a tad more on occassion with a stock motor but I would go any more than that. There are a few things that you can do on a budget to add more secuity, and some things that you can get by without doing. With a stock crank I would atleast stud it. The double key you could probably do without (if you keep your foot out of it). I wouldn't skimp on the carbs though. Lean conditions on a blower motor equals a time bomb. Don't run the belt too tight, especially on a stock crank. Will snap that sucker off (and the blower snout)

Just my thoughts. Just trying to help. Blower are a lot of fun, I love driving mine. Gas mileage sucks though. BTW, I am in no way claiming to be an expert. There are PLENTY of great blower guys here (you know who you are).
I am no expert,but just stating what has worked for 30 years for me.A lot of the "experts" say you cant do this or that,I've been there and done that.nothing turns heads like the whine of a blown hot rod cruising down the street.It's not rocket science,have fun with it
Old 02-28-2012, 11:19 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,091 Times in 902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68NovaSS
Blower cams like a wide lsa, in the 112 - 114 range.
I'm not sayin' you're wrong, but Blower Drive Service recommends 110 on gasoline, wider on alcohol.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:02 PM

Last photo:

X2 39 chev, can't do this can't do that, kind of funny , I'm running 8.60's with a 2 bolt main bbc and have run 2 bolt main smallblks as well blown . I agree you have to have some knowledge of whats going on. I don't think I would try much if any boost on pump gas, maybe 91 and definately a water/alky setup cheap and they do the job. blower surge or detroit role or lope what ever you call it, is a lean condition at idle, I no people may disagree but more times than not that is the case.period. I like a little bit sounds tough but stupid hard to stage when u have alot, listen to the big boys no surge and fast idle

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.